Author Topic: Opinions on Walker powder and loads  (Read 4732 times)

Offline FLD

• Retirement suits me.
    • View Profile
Opinions on Walker powder and loads
« on: January 04, 2016, 04:46:31 AM »
What powder (Goex, Pyrodex, Triple 7, etc) do you prefer and how hot do you load your pistol when shooting round balls? Folks around the internet seem to be all over the map on loads so I thought I'd ask you guys.
Has anyone used the 30 and/or 50-grain pellets in their Walker?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Opinions on Walker powder and loads
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:04:08 AM »
I used to use T7 but now Goex is about all that goes through my revolvers.    I have filled the chambers with both T7 and Goex and had no ill effects.   You will need to find a load that will group well and I can guarantee it will be less than maximum capacity but it is fun to load the Walker full and turn it loose.   Mine seems to like 40 grains of Goex 3f.  Quite a bit less than maximum capacity.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 05:13:27 AM »
Black powder for most of my revolvers.  For most of my rifles also for that matter.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:45:36 AM »
40 grains of Swiss and a .457 ball are good in my Dragoon.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »
My 2¢.  I use 50 grains of Goex 3fffg black powder in my Walker. Never tried pellets.

Offline HAWKEN50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
 :-*  >457 ball and 50 grains of 2f Goex. 

Offline FLD

• Retirement suits me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »
I was right near Cabela' s in Hammond IN today. I was going to stop there and get some Pyrodex P or Hodgdon fffg,  but the lake effect snow and cold air temps were raising hob with the road and drivers, so I rolled on home. Maybe Thursday when I'm down for another car auction.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:23:12 PM »
I recently got my Uberti Walker back from the Goon and have been testing different loads for accuracy. It has good accuracy at 40 grains of 3F, 2 to 3" groups at 25 yards, but it high and right. Just for the heck of it I tried 15 grains of 2F and it shot basically to point of aim at 25 yards. I think 15 grains is too small a load for a Walker but it is interesting.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 08:34:56 PM »
How do you get the ball seated all the way down to the powder with only 15 grains?  Better yet, do you think the ball was even close to the powder charge?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 08:41:11 PM »
No Walker; all I  have is a Dragoon. It likes 40-45gr of Pyrodex. Anything more is a waste of powder.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »
How do you get the ball seated all the way down to the powder with only 15 grains?  Better yet, do you think the ball was even close to the powder charge?

I don't think it matters much with 15 grains. Actually I'm rethinking the whole airspace thing since I got my Sharp's. 80 grains of powder(recommended load) in a chamber that will hold 110 and even with a full chamber there's always going to be an air space.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 05:07:59 AM »
I've been reading up on the same subject Hawg.   Some BPCR shooters intentionally leave airspace in their cartridges.  I believe it can be done if you know what to expect.    There is a shockwave effect that if not controlled is dangerous.    Fifteen grains in a Walker is probably not going to produce any problems but I don't see how accuracy will be very good.   LonesomePigeon says it works though.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 05:25:19 AM »
Hi Lonesome, what work was done to your Walker? Did that work make any difference shooting it?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 09:07:37 AM »
Richard,
 I did the same to his that I do for all of them.  A precision action tune which includes : An action stop to protect the action parts, a bolt block to protect the bolt and the cylinder locking notches, tuned springs for easy handling and to avoid breakage , raising the bottom of the arbor hole to meet the arbor to correct the arbor fit,  installing an adjustable bearing to always allow a good and solid wedge placement so the revolver will be the same revolver each time it is assembled, hardened screws which have better friction properties. Perfect timing is then set.
  The result is a mechanically precise, close tolerance revolver that gives the shooter a consistent platform each time the action is cycled.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
mike116 I use Cream of Wheat to fill up the rest of the chamber.

The airspace thing is interesting, pertaining to the original Walkers and exploding cylinders. The main theories are too much powder in the chambers and/or seating the conical Pickett bullets upside down. However, I wonder if it might be due to airspace. A Walker can fit a lot of powder and still leave an airspace. I haven't measured how much powder you could put in and still leave an airspace but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in excess of 30 grains. 30 grains + airspace + Pickett bullet with larger bearing surface than roundball + weaker steel might have caused cylinders to rupture.