photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: .45LC in 1847 Colt Walkers  (Read 999 times)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
.45LC in 1847 Colt Walkers
« on: January 07, 2016, 07:38:09 AM »
So, if you have the 1847 Colt Walker and have a .45LC conversion cylinder...can you use any .45LC ammo?

Or, do you have to stick with the Cowboy Loads?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: .45LC in 1847 Colt Walkers
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:57:04 AM »
With Kirsts gated conversion, it is suggested for use with loads of 1000 fps or less. That pretty much is any off the shelf, non + or +P loads. Other manufacturers will say 800 fps or so (cowboy loads). I reload for between 900-950 fps with a 250 gr. bullet (all my OTs have Kirst Gated conversions). For the Dragoons/ Walker , its a walk in the park!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:58:57 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:59:57 AM »
Hi Sam, Howell says to limit loads to "Cowboy Loads" whatever that means. While I don't push my other .45 Colt conversion cylinder revolvers past ~850fps with lead bullets, I'm sure that the Walker and Howell will easily handle 1000fps with any bullet, lead or jacketed. However, I would avoid P+ ammo.

The ordnance steel cylinder walls of the Howell Walker are much thicker than 44 mag cylinder walls and the large arbor and wedge can take a lot of punishment. A rule I would use if working up a max loading is to keep the conversion cylinder projectile energy to equal or less than the projectile from the C&B cylinder maximum loading.

BTW, have you taken apart your Walker yet? One good thing you could do is to slightly radius and polish the end of the bolt that goes into the cylinder. That will minimize any cylinder hole edge buggering from the bolt. Also, tell me the trick you needed to do when reinserting the hand into the Walker frame. BTW, I used a wire tie to keep the hammer spring compressed to allow triggerguard assembly. There's lots of stuff different about the Walker compared to the other Colts. Learning those differences can be almost as much fun as shooting.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 08:21:32 AM »
Mike, Thanks!  )lI

Richard, I haven't taken my Colt Walker all apart yet......
I only did the taken of the wedge out and removed the barrel and cylinder to this point.

I saw 50rd box of Cowboy Action .45LC at Wal-mart for over $70...WHAT the HECK??? Good thing that I reload for these.  ::)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:34:24 AM »
Like anything else, Sam...once they discover a market of suckers (enthusiasts) the prices go through to ceiling.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
They were 50 bucks before the "shortage".

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 04:18:23 AM »
To me, Cowboy load is the original as used by the cowboys and military, a 260 grain bullet over 30-35 grains of black powder.

Some folks think cowboy loads are weak, not mine.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:42:07 AM »
To me, Cowboy load is the original as used by the cowboys and military, a 260 grain bullet over 30-35 grains of black powder.

Some folks think cowboy loads are weak, not mine.

Kevin

Most of the factory cowboy loads are loaded with Trailboss.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 06:19:04 AM »
What are now termed Cowboy loads should actually be referred too as Cowboy Competition or Cowboy Action loads.    I agree with Kevin in that cowboy loads are a full case of BP toped with soft lead bullet.