Author Topic: Colt Walker, The Crown Jewel  (Read 5835 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Colt Walker, The Crown Jewel
« on: January 21, 2016, 08:49:28 AM »
Hi, if you are interested in the Colt Walker, this is a must see video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJMUYjEDyw

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
Re: Colt Walker, The Crown Jewel
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 09:23:21 AM »
That was an interesting video. It sure beats watching the morning news. :-* 8)

Offline 603doug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »
My wife made me play the video twice for the history lesson, now if only I could her to shoot my Walker.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:19:29 AM »
Hi, he made some factual errors. The Walker isn't as powerful as the .44 Magnum. The .357 Magnum power is closer, and in some loadings the .357 Magnum is greater than the Walker. The spec velocity of the Walker may have been 1500fps with a round ball and 60gr of black powder, but I know of no loading using BP that realizes that velocity. 1250-1300fps is more typical.

I'm almost certain there are other factual errors in the video, but it was worth the time viewing.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:51:26 AM »
I have two Walkers and a Dragoon.  I must say, they are the least fired of all my C&B revolvers.  The power is there but I prefer a better blend of power to weight.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »
Dragoons are heavy but a gated conversion, lightens things up quite a bit!!  (Just a silly plug for us cartridge guys!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 09:04:38 AM »
Hi StrawHat, until just a couple of months ago, I never wanted a Walker and wouldn't take one if offered for free. However, since getting the Uberti Walker and tuning it, I think it will become one of my favorite shooting BP revolvers this coming year. What I like about it is the history, and the very stable shooting platform with a long sight radius. I doubt that I will ever shoot it with more than 30gr of powder, or mild .45 Colt loads.

IMO ownership of a Walker is a very nice addition for the serious replica Colt collector. Big and small, I love all my Colts. While I have several flavors of Colt replicas, the most accurate and nicest shooting Colts I currently own are the 1851s.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
The Walker seems to be the Holy Grail of Colt (or any other brand) revolver to many a shooter and collector. Being easily influenced as I am, I had to have one. So I bought one, in April 2013. An Armi San Marco, built in 1975 :

It was a monster ! Huge and heavy, and much too big to fit among my collection of 1851s.
So I sold it a few days later.
Then, after reading again that the Walker is THE Colt to have, I had second thoughts. I felt I had sold it too fast, and not given it its fair chance to find a room among its smaller companions. So I bought another one. In fact I bought a pair, as I read they normally go in couples. Two Armi San Marco, both made in 1970 :

Well, they were just as huge as I remembered, and once again, far too big for me and their 1851 descendants.
I was lucky to be able to sell them within days, and never looked back.
Now I stick with 36 and 31 calibers open-top Colts, and I am very happy that way !  L@.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »
I own a Second Dragoon and have handled the Walker.
Both are ponderous compared to the litheness of a good Navy.
I find the pockets (like my Baby Dragoon) just a wee bit small for my fingers, they are fun to play with, but like most mouse guns cause more noise than injury, other than at poker-table range.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 04:48:59 PM »
Don't have a Walker but have a third model Dragoon. It's big and heavy but that's ok I like big and heavy.  (7&

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 05:07:13 PM »
I like my Walker a lot but I'm not in love with it.  It's fun to shoot a few cylinders full and then switch to a '51 or a pocket model at the same shooting session.   I doubt I will ever sell the ASM model I have.   I also have an ASM 2nd model Dragoon,  both are very nice reproductions.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 07:48:14 PM »
I have been shooting Colt's revolving belt pistols since the late 1960s but never owned a Walker until recently. I love it! It's a power house with 50 grains of fffg Goex. This one is a Uberti imported by Cimerron in the late '90s. It had never been fired until I bought it last year.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 08:04:24 PM »
Well,
 I have a pair !!!!   OF DRAGOONS !!!!!  Love um!! Of course, as I mentioned above they are somewhat lighter than their C&B brethren !! The grips on the Whitneyville (and Walker since they're the same) are easy to hang on to and  the "regular" Dragoon grips fit my hand and are comfortable.

I got rid of my Walker too. It is very cool but it does seem to cross a line as far as size goes. But the main thing was the length of the cylinder. It's too long for the 45 Colt round and the Dragoon's cylinder is great with it and would be an even better fit with 454 Casull length cartridge. I don't miss it. If I shot blk powder, this would be a totally different story!!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:07:38 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 08:18:15 PM »
The Colt Walker is a manly pistol.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »
I have been shooting Colt's revolving belt pistols since the late 1960s but never owned a Walker until recently. I love it! It's a power house with 50 grains of fffg Goex. This one is a Uberti imported by Cimerron in the late '90s. It had never been fired until I bought it last year.

You have a good, period looking holster to go with your Walker bishop creek.