Author Topic: Colt Walker, The Crown Jewel  (Read 5818 times)

Online Bishop Creek

• View Profile
Re: Colt Walker, The Crown Jewel
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 08:32:23 PM »
Thanks scooby. I really like period holsters. This is the one I use with my Colt 1860 Army:

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 09:01:02 PM »
I like the period style holsters too but I only have one for my '51.   I should see if someone could make me one.

Online Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 09:04:08 PM »
mike116, I'll be in contact with you soon to make a period style holster for my fixed sight Ruger Old Army.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 02:17:05 AM »
I like the period style holsters too but I only have one for my '51.   I should see if someone could make me one.

HA!!!!  (7+"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 05:07:49 AM »
mike116, I'll be in contact with you soon to make a period style holster for my fixed sight Ruger Old Army.

I'm sure we can come up with something you'll like Bishop.  ROA's were first produced in 1972,  not sure what a period holster from 1972 should look like.  LOL

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 06:03:48 AM »
As far as I remember, Walkers were not meant to be carried around in belt holsters (although Josey Wales did it on the screen). Due to their size and weight, they were "horse pistols". In fact, the horse would carry them in the kind of holster that is shown in the attached article from the March, 1960, issue of The Texas Collector :

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 06:29:44 AM »
You are pretty much right on that Ringo.   The Walker was carried mostly on horseback but with anything there is always an exception.   Walker belt rigs from the mid 1800's are practically non existent.  Pommel holsters and saddle bag holsters were the practical way to carry such a large piece.   Nowadays most Walker owners don't own horses so a belt rig is the most popular way to carry a Walker.  As the Dragoon developed and became more widely used belt rigs became more and more common.
I would bet that most who have a holster for their Walker just use it for a place to put the revolver while hanging out at the range.  Scooby is one of the few I know of that actually carries his in on trips through the woods.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 06:40:15 AM »
Correct you are Ringo. They were intended to be carried in pommel holsters with specific military application.

I do not know much about the actual use of the 100 pieces that were made for the civilian market. Just how wide spread their presence was across this country is challenging to pin down. I suspect the presentation civilian Walkers became mere conversation pieces.

From a historical standpoint, I chose to use a belt holster rig for my Walker based on an original image that I have seen. I did the same thing for two of my pocket modle Colts. I recognize that I am stretching my justification a bit thin with such limited amounts of documentation.

Two other influences that sways me to carry my various "horse pistols" on my waist are the multiple original images available showing Dragoon modles carried in belt holsters and the fact that I do not have a horse.  (7+"

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 08:33:47 AM »
From a historical standpoint, I chose to use a belt holster rig for my Walker based on an original image that I have seen. I did the same thing for two of my pocket modle Colts. I recognize that I am stretching my justification a bit thin with such limited amounts of documentation.

Two other influences that sways me to carry my various "horse pistols" on my waist are the multiple original images available showing Dragoon modles carried in belt holsters and the fact that I do not have a horse.  (7+"
Obviously, be it at least in order to show off on a photograph, some would carry their Walker(s) (or were they Dragoons ?) in a belt holster

I would not try it, for several reasons, the main one being it would be so very embarrassing to have the whole set falling on my feet each time I'd try to walk around with it on. For me, the only way to keep it might be a shoulder rig... )lI

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 09:35:04 AM »
That middle pic looks weird with him holding that rifle like that without the butt resting on something and he would be berated from now on for holding his thumb over the muzzle in todays anal world. (7+"

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »
That middle pic looks weird with him holding that rifle like that without the butt resting on something and he would be berated from now on for holding his thumb over the muzzle in todays anal world. (7+"
I guess the rifle is hanging from some kind of hook on the shoulder strap, but I had just the same feelings when I first saw that picture.  ???

Online Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 06:38:45 PM »
In that first picture on the left, It appears to be a Walker and not a Dragoon. Look at the loading lever sticking out of the holster.

Though a heavy piece, I actually had no trouble carrying my Walker in holster last Summer while hiking up a desert canyon. Guess it helps that I'm 6'4" in height.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 08:16:41 PM »

I'm sure we can come up with something you'll like Bishop.  ROA's were first produced in 1972,  not sure what a period holster from 1972 should look like.  LOL

Hey Bishop,  Just re-read my earlier response to your post.  Noticed it kind of sounds weird.   I wasn't trying to make fun of you or the ROA,  just joking around.   

Online Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 08:17:06 AM »

Hey Bishop,  Just re-read my earlier response to your post.  Noticed it kind of sounds weird.   I wasn't trying to make fun of you or the ROA,  just joking around.   

No worries, I thought it was funny! I guess a period 1972 holster would be like Clint wore in all his Westerns. :-*

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
I guess a period 1972 holster would be like Clint wore in all his Westerns. :-*

Good point. Wish I could find a pattern for a dragoon holster.