Author Topic: Model Of 1849 Pocket Pistol  (Read 2353 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Model Of 1849 Pocket Pistol
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:47:32 PM »
Sunday afternoon's choice of shooter. This one being the leverless version. I like to take these little revolvers out once in a while and have some fun with them.

I made up a fancier belt rig for this revolver than I normally do.

Took a liking to this early militia pattern buckle. The smaller oval size was a good match for the 1849. The knife is a damascus blade that I have had for a lot of years.

Definately not a handfull.

After ringing some steel, I felt like putting a few holes through a pine board from 12 yards.

A look at the back side of the board. Some time in the future, I will layer up some sections and see how many the little ball will pass through.

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
Re: Model Of 1849 Pocket Pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:36:34 AM »
Definately not a handfull.
It really looks a midget. So much so that I had to check whether mine would look the same in my own hand, and they do !... I'd never thought they are so small.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:39:27 AM by Ringo »

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 04:31:31 AM »
I have two, made by ASM, with square back guards.  My fingers are too big to fit in the guards so I don't shoot them much.  May have to get a round guard version.  Got a bunch of the Pocket Police and Pocket Navies, similar but 36 calibers.

Nice looking rig.I  I have a couple of those falsks.  USed one for priming my flintlocks.  The other is set up for loading the little 36s.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 05:34:44 AM »
I have two, made by ASM, with square back guards.  My fingers are too big to fit in the guards so I don't shoot them much.  May have to get a round guard version. 
I have one squareback and two with the round triggerguard. If your fingers are too big for the squareback triggerguard they won't fit in the round one either. Both kinds of triggerguard are the same size in fact, not the same shape, but definitely the same size.  :(

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:07:29 AM »
Hi scooby, as always, great photos!!

Do you have issues with cap sucking with your 1849?

These are my cap sucking, queens of suck, of all time Colts. I only use the 1849s with conversion cylinders, then no caps sucking. Since the 1862 doesn't have a conversion cylinder available, it simply remains a cap sucking safe queen.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:27:16 AM »
Ya Richard, I have delays with this 1849 on occasion due to spent cap interference. Same as on a couple of my other pocket modles. Since none of the pocket modles are my main stay revolvers, the issue does not bother me none.

That is not to say that I do not understand the frustration that cap issues cause others.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »
Ya Richard, I have delays with this 1849 on occasion due to spent cap interference. Same as on a couple of my other pocket modles. Since none of the pocket modles are my main stay revolvers, the issue does not bother me none.

That is not to say that I do not understand the frustration that cap issues cause others.

I think it's safe to say that capsuckers are more troublesome to those who only own one Colt. )lI

Just sayin'...... L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 04:28:37 PM »

Do you find that changing nipples to a Treso or similar makes any difference with how many caps 49's seem to eat? 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
The only sure cure for a capsucker is one of 45 Dragoon's (Goons Gun Works) cap rakes. And I will tell you how great they work as soon as I get my Army back...... (hint, hint) L@J

6.  Installation of a cap post - This keeps spent caps and/ or fragments out of the action. It also restricts any blowback past the post, which allows for a much lighter "cartridge" type action (Colt and Colt type safety pins are not affected).

For a link to this web page:

http://www.goonsgunworks.com/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:32:00 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »
That is a really nice set up you have there. The buckle is great too. And I'm guessing the small pouch type deal with the flap is for balls and not handcuffs... 8)

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 07:37:29 PM »
Beautiful pistol and rig scooby!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 09:39:12 PM »

Do you find that changing nipples to a Treso or similar makes any difference with how many caps 49's seem to eat?

Never have tried that route 99whip. I have read on the forums that some guys have better luck with after market cones, but I do not recall reading about them trying the change on an 1849. Mostly it has been with the larger revolvers. Sure might be worth a try though.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 09:46:03 PM »
Many thanks doubledeuce and bishop creek for the compliments. Yep deuce, for balls and caps the pouch do be.  ;) I hope to never wear a cuff pouch again in my life :)

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 04:22:06 AM »
... I hope to never wear a cuff pouch again in my life :)...

You and me both!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 08:42:37 AM »
Hi scooby, in an attempt to minimize the cap sucking with the 1849 frame Colts I ordered Slixshot nipples. They were too long and would require machining to fit. I sent them back in disgust for a refund. Using the 1849s with Howell .32 S&W conversion cylinders never has a cap sucking stoppage when shooting.  ;) ;)

Not long ago there was a post where the 1849 user modified the Slixshot to fit, but it didn't help the cap sucking. Maybe someone will either offer thick metal caps, or offer a cap cover that keeps the spent caps on the nipples. However, I won't hold my breath.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!