Author Topic: When will Sam shoot his Walker?  (Read 4653 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Re: When will Sam shoot his Walker?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2016, 07:59:55 PM »
I wonder if the Walker exploding cylinders could have been due to not putting enough powder in the chamber and causing an air gap. It seems counter intuitive but you can have a pretty hefty charge in those big chambers and still have the loading lever not be able to seat a bullet all the way down.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
I wonder if the Walker exploding cylinders could have been due to not putting enough powder in the chamber and causing an air gap. It seems counter intuitive but you can have a pretty hefty charge in those big chambers and still have the loading lever not be able to seat a bullet all the way down.
Not likely IMHO. They were designed to knock down a man (or his horse) out past 75 yards, so one would imagine a Ranger would load as much powder in them as they would hold.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 10:44:24 PM »
Don't forget, these were built by a subcontractor.  Whitney was infamous for using sub par materials in order to save a buck.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2016, 11:16:10 PM »

They would have been issued paper cartridges so not likely.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »
I shot the Walker but, I didn't shoot the Sheriff!!!!!!!    *6'

Offline Krylandalian

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2016, 06:56:10 PM »
No!  Don t  do it!  Don t  shoot your Walker!!!  Fire it at, and   s h o o t    the target!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2016, 02:13:09 AM »
Heh!

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2016, 11:13:06 AM »
Well, after all the ribbing Sam took about not shooting his Walker (not shooting WITH his Walker) I will have to admit to not shooting WITH mine yet! :-[ L@J I just haven't been shooting much....don't know why as I just have to step out in the yard....

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »
Well, after all the ribbing Sam took about not shooting his Walker (not shooting WITH his Walker) I will have to admit to not shooting WITH mine yet! :-[ L@J I just haven't been shooting much....don't know why as I just have to step out in the yard....

Anything like me it's been too hot, even late in the evening. I load up one every now and then and go out and shoot that but that's about it. I did fire off ten rounds in the Sharps awhile back but when I was done I was soaking wet and the gun was so slick it was hard to hold on to and my super de dooper heavy bullet lube mix melted. *9+