Author Topic: 1ST Modle Dragoon  (Read 1261 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1ST Modle Dragoon
« on: February 05, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
Well it seems I am not waisting any time in filling my wish list of new Colt revolvers for 2016 like we talked about in another thread. Here is one of the two versions of Dragoons that I have had an itching for. Just got it in the mail the first part of this week.

This one did not get to go over the hill to my little range for the first trial run like most revolver do. Instead, it got stuffed in a belt holster and packed down into a side canyon on an extended morning hike. I shot at rocks, clumps of snow, and pine cones. When I got back home, I finished off with 12 rounds on one of my gongs. Nothing really to report. It performed flawlessly. Hits a bit high, so I have a little hammer work yet to do. All of the polish work had already been completed a few days earlier.

Man, what an outstanding Feb. morning. 36 degrees when I walked off the porch and already up to 48 degrees when I got back an hour and a half later. Supposed to be like this all weekend. I am going to do a lot of hiking and shooting the next two days!

She has had 12 rounds put through her so far in this pic.

And another dozen rounds in this one.

Definately a hearty revolver. I love the heft and feel of the Dragoons. I am still strong enough that I can shoot them one handed quite easily. I also added a pic below this one just for comparison kicks. It is one of an 1849 that I posted in another thread recently.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Re: 1ST Modle Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 06:39:58 PM »
Scooby,

I wish I'd spent a few hours hiking and shooting, that's a great day.  I like the Dragoon models also, which other model Dragoon are you after?  Is that an Uberti?  How high did it shoot and with what type of loads? 

Whip

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
I am always envious of your situation Scooby.   Being able to walk out the door and hike and shoot in the country you live in is a luxury I know you worked hard for.   Good to see you taking advantage.   
The new Dragoon looks great.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
Thanks Mike. I always appreciate your opinion. Your current words serve to remind me that I am in fact a lucky man and helps to keep me humble about it.

Say 99whip, It is a Uberti, a spanking new one from Cimarron. It shoots dead nuts for windage, but about eight inches high at twenty five yards. I was using .454 home cast round balls powered by 40 grains volume of 3F Old Eynsford Goex thrown from a typical Colt flask.

Oh ya, I am still after a 3RD modle. I already had the 2ND modle and the Whitneyville prior to this purchace. And just to fill you in, I set my sights on completeing an entire collection of recent made Uberti Colt American version percussion revolvers a few years ago. And to date, I have never fully completed any intended collection of items so far, be they traps, Whinchester lever guns, or whatever. Anyway, it looks like I just might finally succeed on at least one collection
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:14:13 PM by scooby »

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »
I feel lucky too. I live in a very rural area, and it is just a 5 minute drive from my house to drive and then park, and the hike in any direction for a few minutes and fire my cap and ball revolver. This is in California.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 09:16:12 PM »
I envy you guys that can step out the back door and blaze away.
Someday, maybe.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 03:29:54 AM »
I like that you find targets of opportunity.  Great way to learn how a revolver or rifle shoots.  I usually group it on paper and once sighted in to my tastes, that firearm will rarely see paper again.  Stumps, rocks, snow balls, whatever is available.  I have been known to put a few 5 gallon pails out and when walking, let fly at those.  When done, I grab the pails and fill them with whatever trash and stuff blows onto the property.  Leave it better than you found it.

I still do not have a 31.  Probably never will have one to shoot.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 07:56:48 AM »
Nice Scooby!!
  Great pics and what a nice thing to collect !!!!  Dragoons!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 08:01:53 AM »
Hi scooby, as always, great photos!! Congratulations on getting a new Dragoon.

Compared to the Dragoon, that 1849 Wells Fargo looks like it should be attached to a key chain?  *6' *6'

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:19:29 AM »
Yeah, that 1849 is small.  L@.