photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: She Is Now Good To Go  (Read 743 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
She Is Now Good To Go
« on: February 07, 2016, 05:00:07 PM »
Did a bit of work to the hammer notch and shortened the top edge to bring the point of impact down on my new Civilian 1860. Went over the hill with 30 round balls. The first two shots hit center on paper at 25 yards, so I stoped there and fired the next 4 at some basalt rocks. It now hits where you aim it instead of hitting high. No more paper for this shooter ever again. Well, I thought I should have a go with her at a longer distance, so I backed out to 60 yards and had a go at one of my larger square gongs off hand. Hit it six for six and enjoyed that so much that I reloaded the cylinder three more times and just kept at it. I'll be damned it I did not ring that gong 24 times in a row. I am happy, happy, happy with this 1860.  :)

Here is a view of the improved notch and shortened hammer top. The hammer is in the half cock position.

Snapped this pic when I was done shooting. The 1860 poses with the dagger that shares a spot on my belt rig.

I had the foresight to snap a pic of the gong that I was shooting at. Here is what it looks like from 25 yards out. It is the gong on the left.

And here is a view from 60 yards.

There sets 24 lead splats on the gong.

Out of curiosity, I grabbed an 8 1/2 inch paper plate out of my shed to use as a guage to see just how many of the hits could be covered up. Turns out that 3/4 of my shots are within the said diameter. Now mind you, I ring this gong at this same distance with several other percussion revolvers, but I have never shot this many rounds at one session. Instead, it is usually just 6 shots. I also usually miss at least 1 shot out of every second attempt when I practice at this distance. It sure did feel good to do what I did this afternoon. These reproduction Colt's are some fine shooters. Ya just gotta love em!!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: She Is Now Good To Go
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 05:20:59 PM »
That's a fine demonstration of shooting with your new '60 Scooby.   Surprised to see there is no snow on the ground.   I haven't seen the ground here since before Christmas.   
Nice shooting with an nice revolver.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
Not bad at all.  :-*

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
I am guessing by the grips that is a Uberti?
Nice shooting, my friend! (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »
Fine shootin Scoob!!

Bet them pine trees get a little skeert !!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 08:57:52 PM »
I live at a fairly low elevation Mike and the temps have been uncommonly warm for two weeks. Most all the snow is gone on the property except for in the shady spots. However, I don't have to drive much further above my place and there is plenty.

Yep Kirk, a Uberti. It's the same one I featured a couple threads down from this one.

If those pines could talk Dragoon, they would for sure be chewing me out for all of the bullets that wiz past them on a regular basis.  (7+"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »

If those pines could talk Dragoon, they would for sure be chewing me out for all of the bullets that wiz past them on a regular basis.  (7+"

Nothing like sending a .58 minie into the woods and watching small trees fall. *6'

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 09:27:05 PM »
No doubt hawg!!!!!  I shot an 1861 Springfield for a bunch of years and the small trees on the ridges around here started growing parallel to the ground just so they could survive  :- (7+"