Author Topic: SSD for old computer  (Read 613 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
SSD for old computer
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:27:16 PM »
Hi, my NYS tax refund just arrived where I could invest in upgrading some old computers I own. I decided to buy some solid state drives (SSD) to replace the old mechanical hard drives in three old computers I own. The first new SSD arrived yesterday and I installed it in one of those computers. The performance of that old computer is amazing, just like having a new high performance machine. Everything now works almost instantaneously. I never knew that a computer could work so quickly!

IMO one of the best things you can do to turn your old machine into a speedster is to replace your hard drive with an SSD.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SSD for old computer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »
So....enlighten an old timer here. How much does an SSD cost and what is entailed in installation, reloading info, etc?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »
Hi mazo, it will cost ~$80 for a 250gb SSD and mounting hardware. A SATA/USB  connection device can be purchased off eBay for ~$8. Free software on the internet (AOMEI Backupper) can clone your hard drive to the SSD.

The procedure is to clone your hard disk to the SSD that is connected to a USB port and then replace your hard disk with the SSD after the hard drive is cloned. Then its blastoff time!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline old fogey

• Ass-hat Extrodinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:46:08 PM »
Almost all laptops that have a sd slot also have an option (usually in the boot menu-) for using it as "system memory" (and thus a mini ssd)!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »
Hi, got the second SSD for a computer in my living room today and installed it. I never though that the old computer could run that fast.

Regards,
Richard