Author Topic: 1872 Uberti  (Read 1519 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1872 Uberti
« on: February 20, 2016, 02:13:01 PM »
Bought this one in 2005. I got it from Cimarron. It was, at that time, my 2nd ever open top cartridge Colt. It chambers the 44 Colt case and is marked so on the barrel. The bore mics out exactly .429 and has a 1 in 16 twist. I shoot pure lead cast bullets from a Lyman #429478 mould. They drop from the mould at 203 grains and measure .428 in diameter. Powder is a slightly compresses case full of Swiss 1.5 F. I use C & H dies to reload for this round.

It shot dead on for windage out of the box and will hit close to dead on for elevation at the closer 10 and 15 yard distances. Back out to 25 yards and she climbs up a few inches.

The integral rear barrel sight is a tiny affair. Not as shooter friendly on old eyes as is an opened up hammer notch. When I first got it, I could hit a pine cone with nearly every shot at 25 yards. I don't shoot that well anymore, but can still hold my own for an older guy.

I really like this revolver. Always have since the day I got it. I take better care of it than I do most of my other revolvers. And I really don't shoot it all that often anymore. But when I do, it is a grand pleasure.

Here is a belt rig that I made up for it

I will get around to making up a matching sheath for a knife for it someday.

There is 12 rounds from 25 yards fired off hand in this group. The group is 3 inches when measured center to center. With the first 6 rounds, I put one rounds high. With the second 6, I put 3 more rounds high. But I damn sure was pleased with what I did. If I could have kept those 4 rounds in with the other 8 rounds,  it would have been my best ever 25 yard off hand group with black powder and lead from an open top revolver.

The most gracefully designed cartridge modle ever put out by Colt.

Here is a better look at those round nosed cast bullets resting in the 44 Colt cases.

Offline Major

• View Profile
Re: 1872 Uberti
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 03:16:10 PM »
They are grand... This one will chamber 44 Colt & Russian

Forgive the Photo for it's new appearance , it was....

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 07:02:53 PM »
Beautiful guns, both of you! And nice shooting, Scooby! May I ask why some photos like these aren't submitted for the banner photo contest?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 07:11:58 PM »
I'm glad to see you haven't run out of guns or good photos yet Scooby.   I like the '72 open top a lot.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »
Beautiful guns, both of you! And nice shooting, Scooby! May I ask why some photos like these aren't submitted for the banner photo contest?

I never paid enough attention to the procedure Capt and always thought that you picked out the ones that would be voted on.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 09:17:38 PM »

I never paid enough attention to the procedure Capt and always thought that you picked out the ones that would be voted on.
No sir. You throw your hat in the ring, it goes on the voting poll, and the members pick the winner. There is still time if you want.Poll goes til the 28th....
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Major

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 11:35:20 PM »
 I'm new ...banner photo contest?

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 03:35:32 AM »
I'm new ...banner photo contest?

the Banner Photo is the one at the top of the page that greets you when you sign in or go to a thread.  Once a year, we hold an informal vote to determine what photo we want to see for the next year.  Currently, we are seeing an 1851 owned and photographed by Fingers McGee.  I believe my Richards graced the banner for a spell, and we have had an 1861 with a 5 1/2  barrel, I apologize, I have forgotten who the owner is.

So, if you would like to see your revolver on the Banner, grab a picture (or several) and post it here.

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1521.0

Good luck!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Major

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 05:50:46 AM »
I surfed and found it ...I voted in the poll , Finger's cased Dragoon & Navy, and saw I was not alone.

Ken " Finger's McGee is well know to me, we have corresponded several times. We even (almost) met at the NCOWS convention in 2014.
in 3 days we just passed each other that was my misfortune...
 I found out later he was helping out "Work'n' Ranch" and I even bought a frock coat from them...