photo Dragoon-Navyset_zps3txqpebh.jpg

Author Topic: The Customer Is NOT Always Right !!!!!!!  (Read 283 times)

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
The Customer Is NOT Always Right !!!!!!!
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:00:33 AM »
After going round and round with the owner, I acquiesced and took his word that the Merwin Hulbert I was repairing was a 44-40, not a 44MH, even though it was not marked Winchester 1873 on the frame like MH 44-40's were. He allegedly got this info through family documentation. I got some bp rounds from mazo, loaded one in the cylinder and gave it a spin to check for OAL, it bound up on the barrel. I went and trimmed about 2mm off the slugs, that was my only problem in loading, the bullets chambered fine. Took the revolver out back for a test run, fired six and it felt like I was shooting 44 magnum's !!!! Took the gun back to the shop to un load it, and the unloading procedure was impossible to complete. I finally pushed each shell back out through the loading port and the gun functioned properly again. That's when I discovered the problem, 3 of the cases had split and they all had a swelling at and below the neck and a compression ring on the top of the neck!!!!! A true testament to the quality of the revolver is that it incurred no damage. There is a step in the cylinder chambers, in front towards the bbl that shrinks the chamber opening to the correct diameter for the slug, not the casing. What I learned, besides listening to my gut, is that a 44-40 is 1.655 OAL and a 44MH is only1.16 OAL, the difference is in the case length and obviously the powder load.

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Customer Is NOT Always Right !!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 12:51:10 PM »
Your lucky he knew it was a 44 anything!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »
I'm sure glad you came out of that unscathed!

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
Glad you still got all your digits and what nots!  Now that you know you can charge the "Customer" a nominal fee for your experience before shoving it up his bum.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!