Author Topic: Which is your preferred vendor??  (Read 1514 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Which is your preferred vendor??
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
Hi, which is your preferred vendor for replica BP revolvers, Pietta or Uberti.

In the last few years Pietta has been my goto replica revolver vendor. The Pietta is lower cost and the arbor length for Colts has been perfect while the Ubertis always need adjustment work. However, the Uberti's seem to produce a revolver that is a more accurate representation of the original revolver. The grip and frame size of the Uberti seems to be a more accurate of the original revolver design.

What is your choice? Why do you like one vendor over the other?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Which is your preferred vendor??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
Richard;
Double-edged sword, my friend.
Pietta's QC has come up echelons in the last decade. What they offer now is precise machining allowing for complete interchangeability of like parts...a plus! Also, their bluing is superb.
Uberti gets the nod for more realistic repros, better wood and wood-to-metal finish, and most of all...the Pietta "tail" bothers me to no end, being a Colt fanatic.
Uberti is suffering some serious QC issues  and really needs to address the whole competitive pricing issue. It may be solely due to Cabela's "power buying" that we can buy a Pietta for 20-30% cheaper than a Uberti, but for many of us, the Almighty Dollar speaks very loudly.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »
I have most always bought Pietta's for the price. I do like Uberti's better tho.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »
Like Hawg, I buy because of price. So, whomever has the lowest price for whatever gun I am wanting gets the nod. Free shipping counts too.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »
I'm kind of a flip-flopper I guess.  Sometimes with some models Pietta is what I prefer.   Other times I find myself looking only for Uberti made revolvers.   Maybe I just prefer the maker of the last gun I had a good experience with.   

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 02:33:44 PM »
While it is nice being brand conscious concerning your revolvers, I'm a cheap ass.  Besides I would rather keep things in the "Family" as it were and purchase from the fellows on the forums.  My last two revolvers have come to me that way and I think I got a better deal.  All my C&B revolvers come from Italy but that is as far as I can pinpoint it.  As long as they put lead on target I don't care about much else.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »
Hi, it has been over a year since this thread was started. Over the last year I have come to really appreciate the intrinsic quality of the Uberti brand. The finish and feel is typical of my Colt SAA, very high quality. Pietta's purchased are nice, but seem to lack the quality of the Uberti brand. There are a few downsides of Uberti compared to Pietta, the short arbor and higher cost parts are an issue.

I would always recommend the Pietta for a brand new BP shooter that doesn't desire or want to do gunsmithing on their new revolver. However, once experienced and with some simple smithing tasks, the Uberti becomes a pure joy to handle and shoot.

Where are you as it relates to brand?

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 10:10:47 AM »
Two Ubertis, a Rigarmi, a PR and the rest Pietta's.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »
I'm still flip floppin,  but I lean toward Uberti when I look for a new revolver.   

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 12:24:41 PM »
Cimarron Uberti all but two

Those two are my Walker (Uberti) and s old ASM Mike redid
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »
I have eight Pietta’s and no Uberti’s.  Never have owned a you-berty but they are very nice in fit and finish, that’s true.  I don’t wish to buy a brand new smith job, no thanks; just want to clean them up a little and then go make good smoke.  Pietta’s come off the truck just about ready to take directly out for a session.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
This is easy for me!!!

I like um both!! Lol!!!

But personally, I like cartridge conversions and I like 6 shooters to be 6 shooters (instead of 5shooters for those that aren't familiar). I also like the "Horse Pistols" the most and Uberti (ooo-berti) is the only current manufacturer of Dragoons/Walkers.
 Lucky for me, converted Dragoons are 6 shooters, Uberti is a premier producer, they have correct rifling for the .45C cartridge and I've got a pair that out shoot any single action revolver I've ever owned!! 

My "carry" is an El Patron Comp that is also an Uberti product in .45C/ .45acp and I'm rather happy with it too! If it were a Pietta though, I'd still be happy.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:46:55 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 09:38:58 PM »
Been a Uberti fan for 30 years. I have a few Piettas, but only because the modle produced by them fills my niche.

However, I have a lot of cartridge rifles made by Uberti, and they seem to be the best quality import available compared to others. I started out with cartridge rifles before I got heavy into percussion revolvers, so I naturally stuck with the ssme manufacturer. And side by side, Uberti does indeed make a better firearm than Pietta based on my experience. And fixing a short arbor is plenty easy.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
I usually like Uberti's more than Pietta's, generally the Uberti's dimensions are a little bit closer to the originals. But I do have a 2016 production Pietta 1858 Remington .36 caliber that has superb accuracy; out of the box it gave me one ragged hole about the size of a quarter at 15 yards from a rest, dead on for windage and about 6" low. I only needed to file down the front sight to bring it to perfect point of aim. The new Pietta grip shape makes me want to buy a '51 Navy.

As far as vendors, I like Cabela's sales, that's how I got my .36 caliber 1858 for $169 with free shipping, you can't beat that. I've bought from Dixie Gun Works and they were just fine too. I've never bought from Cimarron but I do like that they try to closely replicate the original markings on a lot of their guns. I would certainly like to try them sometime.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
I've never bought from Cimarron but I do like that they try to closely replicate the original markings on a lot of their guns. I would certainly like to try them sometime.