Author Topic: I Got One!  (Read 1189 times)

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
I Got One!
« on: March 02, 2016, 02:08:17 PM »
Hi All,

After shooting Navy Models for years and years I finally broke down and spent some of my income tax refund on a 1860 Army Model.  Wanting to keep the money in the "family" as it were I made a deal with washbuster for his cased set DDG, 1971 made 1860.  It came with a Powder Flask, Bullet/Ball Mold, a few cast round balls, an empty period marked cap tin and the key for the box.  The revolver itself looks unfired, the inside of the cylinder bores still show blue and aside from a barely there cylinder turn ring still looks new.  The nipples aren't flattened from being hammered without caps.

While I do have my old Lee single .454" round ball mold, I wanted to be able to run more than that so I ponied up for a new two hole .454" Ball mold and the two hole .450" Conical Bullet mold.  I don't know how well he Conical Bullet mold will work being that smaller diameter but until I run a few down range I can't tell.  I ordered these from Midway and as usual they fired them right back to me, ordered on Monday, got them that Friday.  I am in the process of making a full flap cross draw Army type holster for it as my first leather project related to this new to me purchase.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
Re: I Got One!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »
That looks like fun waiting to happen.  8)

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 04:53:53 PM »
Sweet! That's an Armi San Paolo. I have two of them...nice guns indeed.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:09:59 PM »
Nice cased set. You will enjoy it!

Offline Ringo

• View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 03:11:33 AM »
Although I do prefer 1851s, I must admit your 1860 is good looking, and the casing is nice too.
To my eyes, being 45 years old and having remained unfired, it has become a collector's piece now, more than a shooter. Even more so knowing that replacements parts might not be too easy to find.
Have fun with it, though.  ;)

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 04:19:53 AM »
Nice looking revolver.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 12:37:51 AM »
Thanks Guys,

Capt. Kirk, I'm glad to know who made it. 

Still, I believe all guns I own aren't safe queens, I just cast up a hundred or so .450" Conicals to start a steady diet for it.  I will be rolling them up into paper cartridges with 30 grains of fffG Goex.  I found an article from the North-South group on how to replace a too short front sight which it does suffer from.  The hammer emplaced rear sight is just barely there and is not very helpful as it is so that is going to be another modification.  But I first have to see what ball or bullet and powder combination it prefers group wise before I go to playing with the sights.

Up until I purchased my Remington 1858 Short barreled revolver and this one all I shot and really liked was the 1851 Colt Navy.  I have owned my .36 Caliber version for over 20 years and shot the blazes out of it with ball and conical bullets.  A couple years ago I dug up a basket case .44 caliber Navy that I had to refinish and reassemble.  Even in the larger caliber, it still handles like my .36, just a bit more powerful.  The Remington has proven to be a delight to shoot and handles quite a bit quicker with its' short 5 and 1/2 inch barrel.  I can hardly wait to see what it does with Conicals now that I have a mold for them.  And I want to get a full sized Remington version to pair up with my "Shortie".

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!