colt banner

Author Topic: Replace blade sight?  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Replace blade sight?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 02:13:40 PM »
I made a front blade out of an old brass key I found metal detecting one day in my back field, already antiqued  L@J lol.
Couldn't find object or lock I went to,,,,,,  (K|

Might fit the heart shaped lock I dug up a few years ago. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 08:20:14 AM »
Hi, the Pietta 1862 barrel front sight slot is now cleaned up and any bare steel blued. The slot is now ready for the new front sight. The brass stock for the sight is expected to arrive today. I measured the slot dept and calculated the circle diameter. The cord is 0.520" long and the slot is 0.080" deep. Calculation shows that the slot basic diameter is 0.92", close to the size of a quarter. The brass stock I will use is a free-machining brass bar 0.75" wide and 0.125" thick. The finish sight will be narrowed at the top for a good sight picture. The sight will be installed with an initial 0.125" width and narrowed by filing during sighting in. An advantage of doing this is that windage adjustment can also be filed in with the correct height to have poi=poa from 25yds.

More to come.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »
Hi, the slot side of the new sight has been completed, see:

Cutting the top of the sight will occur next.

More to come.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 04:52:57 AM »
Hi, I came across a write-up on replacing an 1860 front sight that you may find interesting:

http://4thla.weebly.com/replace-the-front-sight-on-a-colt-1860-army-revolver.html

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 05:01:21 AM »
Hi, the brass front sight has been roughed in, see:

The sight is a finger press fit in the barrel for the photo. There is still more sculpturing of the brass near the base to improve looks. The sight will then be JB Weld in the barrel sight slot. As mentioned before, the top of the sight is the full 0.125" width to allow filing to windage precision. If there is no windage adjustment required, the top of the sight will be narrowed equally from each side to produce the best sight picture.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 06:44:22 AM »
That looks excellent Richard,  I will have to try one myself.    A little shaping and it will look factory installed.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »
Hi Mike, thanks for the kind comment. The sight has been polished to a high polish, see:

The new sight is now installed with JB Weld and after 24 hours the new sight on the revolver will be sighted in. The sight will first be filed for elevation and then filed for windage. I like the smooth rounded top of the sight to allow for easy holstering without tearing up the holster.

Regards,
Richard

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »
That is nice, clean looking work Richard. 

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 03:09:50 AM »
Thanks whip, the JB Weld has cured and the new sight is ready for sighting in. The Pietta 1862 with new sight:

I expect to file off ~0.05-0.1" for the correct elevation. Some duct tape will be put on the top of the barrel to protect the bluing when filing the sight.

The next photo should show the revolver sighted in.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mr wack

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 03:21:19 AM »
Looks good , you did a fine job sir .  )%g
Everybody's got something to hide sept for me and my Monkey,,,,,,, j w lennon.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2016, 07:25:01 AM »
Hi, the Pietta 1862 is now sighted in with the new sight. It took four iterations to get poi=poa. Only elevation needed to be corrected, windage was right on. The slot in the barrel must be good and true to the bore axis. The filed brass front sight was then smoothed and polished before removing the duct tape. The sight has been left with a full width at the top for a very nice sight picture. I had thought of narrowing the top, but really like the front sight wide. The polish on the front sight makes getting a good photos of the sight difficult, but here are a couple:

This has been a very worthwhile and successful project.

Regards,
Richard

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »
Looks really good, Richard! I like the wood on those grips as well.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
I concur with the Capt.  Great grips.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 07:06:45 AM »
Hi, after doing a few sight replacements to have poi=poa I have found my general overall accuracy improve. Not needing to think of kentucky windage improves accuracy immensely. If you have a favorite shooter I suggest that you install a sight were poi=poa. You will not be disappointed with the result.  &\? &\? &\?

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 04:07:40 AM »
Hi, doing replacement blade sights is pretty easy so I put a taller front sight on one of my Pietta 1860 revolvers, see:

The first nice day the revolver with new sight will be adjusted with a file to have poa=poi.

Regards,
Richard