colt banner

Author Topic: EMF Paterson on sale  (Read 21711 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: EMF Paterson on sale
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »
Hi Mike, I can't believe on how generous you are. I thank you so much.

If there are any here that haven't' purchased a super quality holster from Mike, you don't know what you are missing.

We love our revolvers and there is no better way to enjoy them than housing them in a LeathersmithMike's holster.

Instead of buggering the arbor with a set screw extension, I have decided to just JB Weld another brass button and file it down to have a barrel/cylinder gap of 0.005". The Paterson fouls so easily with a tighter gap that I will go larger and then adjust to optimal after the brass button settles in. IMO trying to do tight tolerances with a Paterson is a fool errand.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2017, 06:41:17 AM »
Hi, my Paterson is becoming a money pit for replacement parts. While setting the barrel/cylinder gap the wedge kept going in further and further until it bottomed. The gap was still too big, 0.008". Looking at the wedge shows that the metal of the wedge has flowed. The metal of the wedge is very soft steel. The wedges of the other Pietta models are hardened steel. New replacement wedges have been ordered. If they are also soft steel, I will harden them.

One can't look at my Paterson without seeing another issue to fix.

My wife says that I shouldn't complain since it keeps me busy and off the street.  ;D

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2017, 07:35:07 AM »
Hi, until the new wedges come in, I found a workaround in repairing the wedge and setting the final barrel/cylinder gap of 0.005". Since the wedge steel is soft, hammering it back into shape on a flat anvil work-hardens the wedge steel. A hammered wedge may work better and last longer than a new one.

BTW, I had thought of using another Pietta or Uberti Colt model wedge, but those wedges are ~0.030" narrower than the Paterson wedge.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2017, 04:14:21 AM »
Hi, I ordered this stuff to do a case hardening on the Paterson wedge:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/119479/cherry-red-surface-hardening-compound-1-lb

This stuff should also be useful to harden the hammer face of Pietta Colt revolvers.

I think this stuff is like Kasenit?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:45 AM »
Let us know how it works!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
I too would be interested in hearing how it works. I would be somewhat worried that if the wedge is hardened too much it might damage the wedge slot. I have a Uberti Walker that both the wedge and the wedge slot got damaged, flowed as you say, and now the wedge won't stay tight. I bought a new wedge and it only worked right for a couple cylinders then it wouldn't stay tight. It appears once that wedge slot is compromised you're basically screwed. I'm trying to fix it with shims now and it seems to be working. If it keeps working I will epoxy the shims in place.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »
Hi Lonesome, the wedge issue for the Walkers is a historic problem when used with full loadings. I think that Goon's has a solution for this problem with the Walker, a 1/4" set screw in the end of the arbor. Maybe Mike will chime in to advise.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »
Hi, the replacement wedges from Taylor arrived today. Both wedges are slightly wider than the original wedge and seat well in the Pietta Paterson. As soon as I get the hardening compound I will try doing a surface hardening on the original wedge and report back what I learn. This is a video of the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTIXGl_3li8

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
Hi, recently I offered a fleabay seller $20 for a couple of mugs, a Harpers Ferry and a Texas Paterson. They accepted my offer. These are the two mugs:

It's interesting that the person labeling the Paterson mug doesn't know much about the production Patersons, see:

Can you tell me what's wrong?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
It should say .44 caliber?

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »
Thought they were 25s.          Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
The first Paterson models were .28 caliber. 

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2017, 03:39:12 PM »
Hi, the Paterson was made in four calibers, .28, .31, .34, and .36. One experimental Paterson was made in .54.

Since the subject on the mug is the Texas Paterson, all those were .36.

The label of the mug, .40 caliber, is wrong.

Regards,
Richard

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2017, 08:18:10 PM »
I humbly stand corrected.           Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
Hi Mark, every time I carry my BP revolvers out to the range I think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ssbgThljU

Regards,
Richard