colt banner

Author Topic: EMF Paterson on sale  (Read 21740 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: EMF Paterson on sale
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2019, 08:02:39 AM »
Hi, concerned about getting extra cylinders for my Pietta Patersons I ordered two Pietta Paterson cylinders from VTI. They only have one in stock that is being shipped to me today. VTI told me they have more coming in two weeks. If you have the Pietta Paterson I recommend getting spare Paterson parts while you can.  K_) K_)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2019, 03:50:42 AM »
Hi, sometimes it's difficult to know if information on the internet is true or not. Taylor Firearms says that the Pietta Paterson is being discontinued. I emailed Pietta to see if they confirmed that information. This is the reply to my email, "More Patersons will be available in April".

However, Pietta also said that the Pietta Starr revolver would be available, "Single Action only in May" on 2/18. Then in 6/18 when again asked, Pietta replied, "The Starrs are not in production and we don’t know when they will be back".

At this point I don't know what to believe about the future availability of the Pietta Paterson, Paterson parts, or any other Pietta revolver.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:16 AM »
Hi, the extra cylinder for the Pietta Paterson arrived yesterday. The nipples were removed and both the nipples and cylinder were degreased using paint thinner. The nipples were reinstalled with antisieze put on the threads. The Paterson is notorious for having cylinder wear near the bolt holes. I have another Pietta Paterson on display in my living room where I could use its cylinder, but want to keep that revolver pristine. Hopefully VTI will have two more extra Paterson cylinders available for me in two weeks. The Pietta Paterson shooter ready for some good weather:

The Colt Paterson is one BP C&B revolver that is known to sometimes come with extra cylinders. I maintain that if Colt could supply extra cylinders for their first 1837 revolver, they could also do the same for their later model revolvers.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:12:53 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »
Hi, last night I was cycling my living room display Pietta Paterson and noticed that the cylinder was rotating irregularly. When pointing the revolver down the cylinder would rotate correctly. This suggested that the hand spring may be broken. I took the Paterson apart and indeed the hand spring was broken. I have on hand four extra hand springs and replaced the broken spring. I may not have mentioned before that I use the book Antique Firearms, Assembly/Disassembly by David R. Chicoine when working on my replica BP revolvers. That book has the best write up on working on the Paterson I have found.

Something I notice about this thread are the large number of reads. There seems to be a lot of interest in the Paterson, but very few postings by others. It would be nice if others also posted their interest in the Paterson.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2019, 09:12:41 AM »
Richard, I have great interest in the Paterson. I just don't own one (yet), so I have nothing to add to the conversation. But rest assured, I read everything you guys post. Keep it coming, there's plenty of people ingesting the information.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »
Hi Dave, the Paterson is indeed a strange beast. IMO the revolver was designed by sequential engineering, IMO a reason Colt went bankrupt. There is little information about working on the innards. The only internet search I found that discussed the Paterson function were posts by our own Fingers McGee and 45 Dragoon:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/position-of-hand-spring-on-replica-pietta-colt-paterson.819904/

Based on that thread I had expected Fingers last year to give a shooting report on his tuned Paterson.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2019, 10:02:59 AM »
Like Dave, I'd love to give you a report on my Paterson, but...well...I don't own one. ^j)
On the bright side, I soon hope to be able to give range reports on my Pedersoli Sharps and Navy Arms Winchester '66. &\?

Since you seem to be the reigning 'Prince of Paterson' here, we'll look to you for our informative write-ups and range reports.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
Hi, the two extra cylinders arrived today. They were cleaned in paint thinner and acetone. Antiseize put on the nipples. The Paterson with four extra cylinders:

Five Paterson cylinders will be loaded tomorrow and shot the first nice day.

Regards,
Richard

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 04:51:17 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2019, 02:16:50 PM »
Looks like you're all set Richard.

By the way, don't bring that to California. It could be construed as a high capacity firearm.  (7+"
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2019, 08:26:25 AM »
Hi, the five Paterson cylinders were loaded and shot at my steel targets from 25yds using a two hand hold. 20gr Black Mz, felt wads, 0.380" balls, and Remington #10 caps were used. Groups were ~2". The long sight radius and tall front sight allowed accurate poi=poa. The Paterson is an amazing accurate handgun, as good, if not better, than my 1851s.

The only issue I ran into is that even with the minimal fouling of Black Mz, the fouling would cause the cylinder to drag and barrel removal was difficult. Between cylinders the arbor was sprayed with water followed by Ballistol. Maybe using a grease on the arbor would be useful to minimal the fouling? I don't know, but that is something to try in the future. The cylinder/barrel gap should also be increased. I'm thinking that I may drill and tap a hole in the end of the arbor so that a set screw could be used to optimally set the gap.

The cylinders and revolver have been cleaned in soapy water and now drying in my oven at 250dF to remove all the water.

Shooting the Paterson today was a lot of fun. I only wish I had five more loaded cylinders. However at a $105 a pop, I will live with my current five cylinders.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:30:38 AM by ssb73q »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2019, 08:51:49 AM »
Great shooting report, Richard!
If I might suggest, a little Lubriplate AA650 on the arbor has always worked wonders on my Remmies with sticking pins. I use them on my Colt arbors as well with good results.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »
Hi Kirk, I can't find Lubriplate AA650 for sale anywhere. Do you have a link on where to buy it? Is that just a white lithium grease?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2019, 10:38:47 AM »
Hi Kirk, I can't find Lubriplate AA650 for sale anywhere. Do you have a link on where to buy it? Is that just a white lithium grease?

Regards,
Richard

My bad, Richard. It is Lubriplate 630 AA.
It can be ordered (among others) from BAC-online.com
P/N is 630-AA-14oz, $15.05 You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, though. A 14 oz can will probably outlast you.
It is a modified lithium based grease, but my experience is that it's far better than regular LG.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:46:03 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2019, 10:43:29 AM »
630 AA    (six-thirty)

Try e-bay or go to the Lubriplate web site and find whether there is a dealer in your area.  I learned about it from Captain too, about six years ago.  That stuff really works and comes off easily enough during clean-up but otherwise stays on good.  Highly recommended.

https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Grease/Multi-Purpose-Greases/630-Series/NO-630-AA/NO-630-AA,-10-OZ-TUBE/

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lubriplate+630-aa&ul_noapp=true
"Nietzsche is dead".
                              -  God

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2019, 08:03:09 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for the information and links. I ordered a 10oz tube of Lubriplate from eBay. I will give it a try the next time I shoot the Paterson and report back.

Regards,
Richard