colt banner

Author Topic: Uberti Leech & Rigdon  (Read 1922 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Uberti Leech & Rigdon
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2019, 04:18:15 AM »
Hi, the bluing removal of the Uberti 1851 cylinder was accomplished by soaking the cylinder in vinegar for 45 minutes, the first photo.

The cylinder was then mounted in my minilathe using the 7/16 bolt described before. Five minutes of file work and ten minutes of different sandpaper grits completed removing the engraving off the cylinder. The cylinder was then polished using Flits on a buffing wheel, the second photo.

Cylinder diameter measurements:

Bolt slots = Before filing 1.534", after filing sanding and polishing 1.5335"
Engraving = Before filing 1.535", after filing sanding and polishing 1.530

Very little metal was removed in the area of the bolt slots, 0.005" from the engraved area. IMO removing that little metal is of no significance.

This morning I will nitre blue the cylinder.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:41:06 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 07:40:59 AM »
That is a thing of beauty Richard! Just doing that is going to make your L&R come alive.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2019, 07:42:58 AM »
Hi, the Uberti 1851 cylinder was nitre blued using Brownells Niter Bluing salts. The temperature used was 570 degrees F as measured with a lead thermometer. The cylinder and Historically corrected Leech & Rigdon:

BTW, the cylinder will darken some after a couple of days. This is a write up on my first niter bluing experiment:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=2724.msg27590#msg27590

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2019, 07:49:54 AM »
Nicely done Richard. It looks like it came that way.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2019, 08:10:36 AM »
Looks great, Richard! (*3
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2019, 08:47:14 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for the comments. While the cylinder had a purple look under led lights, it is now darkening to a deeper blue. The niter bluing requires a little aging before the color stabilizes darker.

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2019, 11:29:00 AM »
Excellent, Richard!

You should be very pleased.

Regards,

Jim

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2019, 04:59:59 AM »
Hi, this morning I noticed that the nitre blued cylinder hadn't darkened anymore as expected. It still had a purple cast to it. The Brownells sheet said that 570 deg F was the temperature for a dark blue, but I noticed in the sheet that at a lower temperature the color is purple. I gave the cylinder another shot in the Brownell salts at 590 deg F. The result is outstanding, the cylinder is now a nice dark blue. The photo below show the blued cylinder next to the Leech and Rigdon that has a conversion cylinder mounted in the revolver. Now that's how the bluing should look.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2019, 10:27:32 AM »
Yes Sir Richard, that looks mighty fine!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2019, 11:48:07 AM »
Yes Sir Richard, that looks mighty fine!
Agreed!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2019, 11:38:33 AM »
Very, very nice
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2019, 06:31:32 AM »
Hi, again, thanks for the kind comments. The Black Flies have died and gone straight to hell so I was able to get the Uberti Leech & Rigdon sighted in @25yds to have poi=poa using 38 Special hollow based wadcutters in a Taylor conversion cylinder. A shooting tripod was used as a rest. It didn't take more than six shots to have the front sight filed down to optimal sighting. I am very impress with the accuracy of the Uberti Leech & Rigdon, I was consistently shooting less than 1.5" groups using the tripod rest. That's damn fine accuracy for a 0.358" bullet where the hollow base skirt engages the rifling. I finished off the box of 38 Special blasting my steel critters shooting one handed.

The revolver front sight was cold blued, cleaned, and ready to put in the safe, a photo:

BTW, this revolver is so accurate that I am thinking of doing a gated conversion on it as soon as I see the Howell gated 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder on sale again.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2019, 08:26:17 AM »
Great picture Richard!

I'm also impressed with the accuracy of the L&R pistols.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2019, 08:35:15 AM »
That came out super-sweet, Richard...as usual! )l_

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
I know this is not an Uberti, but I have to put in a plug for my Pietta L&R (which Pietta, sadly, no longer makes). It started out as a Pietta 1851 Navy (CP 2016) and is a parts gun because of that, but Shotgun Dave made me a very sweet deal on nicer wood for it. The original wood was straight grained walnut, but pretty plain. My eyes lit up when Dave offered me this. One coat of BC Tru-Oil and I am waiting for it to cure before using #0000 steel wool and denim to tone the gloss down. The walnut wood has very nice figure for a Pietta and I am surprised at that.

The wood is just a tad undersized for the BS and TG, but I like that for historicity. Griswold & Gunnison as well as Leech & Rigdon original revolvers were known to have undersized wood due to the fact that neither outfit used much seasoned walnut, and the unseasoned greenish wood shrunk a bit in a short period of time.

I have the original wood with a BS and TG for sale on the BP classifieds here. Make an offer, please. If sold then I can get a wood case for my !860 Army.

Regards,

Jim