colt banner

Author Topic: A Recent Pack Trip  (Read 212 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Recent Pack Trip
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:41:22 AM »
Three of us took off for 4 days into the back country with six mules. Rode in some good mountains and enjoyed Elk, Deer, and one Black Bear. We even located an old homesteader cabin that we were told about. Had a bit of sun at times, but mostly rain with some mixed snow. However, it never got very cold. There is still a lot of snow at the 7000 foot elevation, and it will likely be July before we can get up there.

I now have just over a year on Gunner. I am only guessing because I never kept track, but I rekon I have put over 250 miles on him so far. He is turning out to be one fine animal and we have built up a pretty tight bond by now. I also bought a seven year old Molly mule in January that I will start training to pack soon. She is a fine looking mule and near as big as Gunner.

Sad to say though that we traded off ol Dutchess, our trusted pack mule, in late December. Turns out that the longer pack trips were too hard on the old girl. Mike lucked onto the trade by chance and we ended up with a six year old John mule that is stout as hell. He has a gental and friendly demeanor just like Dutchess, but one has to get after him on occasion for trying to act like a teenager. So far, he has done ok for a youngster on the two pack trips we have done thus far. I led him on this trip and had no issues, other than him lacking experience. I think he will be a keeper. Also, Ol Mike never took to the stand offish attitude that his original riding mule had, so he sold him for top dollar. After two attempts, he found a little Molly rider that is really something. She will go anywhere, can keep up with the big long legged mules, and can be ridden bare back.

Anyway, here are some pics.

DSCN2459 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN2444 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN2405 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN2379 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN2383 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN2398 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN2436 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN2402 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN2438 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN2447 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:36:09 AM by scooby »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A Recent Pack Trip
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 06:50:30 AM »
Nice photos.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:15:01 AM »
Thanks for the pics Scooby.  Looks like fun even with the rainy weather.     Did you get the rigging fixed on those Decker saddles?    I see your mule is hobbled in one photo with a little steam cloud coming off his back.   Are you making your own hobbles too?

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 07:32:00 AM »
Yep Mike, got the riggin replaced on both Deckers. Hobbles are store bought. I have not made my own yet. Ah, you noticed the steam rising from Gunner's back. I had just unsaddled him after a hard ride and turned him loose for some graze. Made for a cool image.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 12:05:48 PM »
Great pictures Scooby! You have a life that any sane man would be envious of.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 06:28:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing Scooby.....you're making me homesick!
-Mick

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 09:14:39 AM »
Scoob, you are sure livin' the life. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
Scooby,

You never fail to amaze me with not only your great photo's,
but your many trips into the wilderness.
Almost makes me feel like I'm part of it.

Many thanks, AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Len

• Bloody foreigner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 02:06:08 PM »
Scooby, you SOB, make me sooo envious, but glad for you. Great pics!

Hobbling is strictly forbidden in my godforsaken country, "it's cruel to the beasts" according to the town dwelling elites. But it saved the tendons of my quarter horse when she got trapped in a fallen sheep fence. She just frooze and waited till she was cut loose. The guy who raised her had got her used to hobbling from the start. He's a nice criminal.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
Great pictures; thanks for taking us along again!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 05:23:04 AM »
Thanks everyone. Glad you enjoyed the post.

Len, so far, the carrot eaters in the USA have not gotten around to making an issue about hobbles being cruel, but they likely will before too long. Many of them already think that horses should not be ridden or used for work, just used as pasture ornaments.

Your post made me think about and laugh at the part in the movie Lonesome Dove where the cook told Capt. Call that he "does not ride animals, it is uncivilized." Then he asked the Capt. "How would you like it is somebody rode you?" Yet the cook had no issue with putting a halter and lead rope on a donkey, cinching a saw buck onto it's back, and dragging him across 2000 miles with a heavy load on his back.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:49:44 AM by scooby »