colt banner

Author Topic: A Second 1894 30 WCF  (Read 233 times)

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A Second 1894 30 WCF
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »
I recently split the cost for this rifle with my old buddy. The manufacture date is 1904. It was sold as a restoration/parts rifle and was cheap. We knew we would be way ahead money wise just to have it for spare parts for all of our other modle 1894's. It was listed as fair condition with some rust and dirt, no finish left on the wood, minimal original blueing, a dark bore with visable rifling, missing both front and rear sights, and that the hammer would only stay in place in the half cock position.

I tore it down and found no issues with the internals except for a rounded sear. After messing with and assessing the exterior and bore, it did not take long to determine that piece definately was not a parts rifle. I went to work on the cleanup and refinish work and intalled a replacement sear that I had on hand. I also had plenty of original front and rear sights in my parts box.

In the end, it had all of the rust scale removed and a faint reblue applied to the barrel and magazine tube. The remaining metal was left as is. The wood was in very good shape and easily brought back to life with my linseed oil finish.

Preliminary testing with my hand loads showed that it will shoot just fine. I am still pulling out a bit of gunk from the bore, but with a bit more shooting and cleaning, it will be good to go. It will remain in the typical frosty and slightly pitted condition like most bores that one encounters with these run of the mill vintage rifles, but they will still shoot smokeless and jacketed reloads well.

So this makes for the second round barreled Winchester that I now possess. I have taken a shine to the round profile, though it is not as appealing as an octagon version. And to look at and handle this rifle in person compared to what it used to look like, one sees a very representable, sound, and usable rifle. I do believe this is my luckiest restoration find to date. I could sell it tomorrow for the going rate. However, I am going to turn it into a saddle rifle for my pack trips with the mules.

DSCN4925 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4924 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Other than the bore, this rifle is actually in better overall condition than the octagon one made in 1898.
DSCN4922 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:28:54 AM by scooby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: A Second 1894 30 WCF
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:11 AM »
Really liking that one, Scoob.
Winchester saddle guns look good with round barrels. Just sayin'.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:40:24 AM »
BTW, what is the gun resting on in the first two photos? Looks like a seat of some sort...

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »
Say Kirk, that is the inner workings of a "Decker" style pack saddle. The wooden portion is called the tree which rests on the mules back after a thick pad has been put down first. The two iron pieces are called bows and used as anchor points to lash or secure a load to the saddle. The straps and buckles are for securing the rigging (breeching, carrier straps, breast collar and cinch) to the tree. This style of saddle came to use around 1898 in my own part of the country, was then enhanced by two brothers by the last name of Decker, and then perfected by Oliver Robinett around 1906. Robinett lived just a short distance up the river from where I live. His original saddles from the era are very collectable and worth a pretty penny.

I will eventually add all of the other essentials to this tree to complete it. In a bit, I will add a few pics of one that I am almost done with.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 05:30:21 PM by scooby »

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 05:32:08 PM »
Here ya go Kirk.

DSCN4930 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4929 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 06:53:59 PM »
Dang Scoob, you have all the luck. Nice find.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »
Decker pack saddles have been the standard in the northern Rocky Mountains for 100 years or so.   Weight distribution and comfort are the reason they are more popular than sawbuck packs.   As usual Scooby works with the best equipment whether it be shootin or packin.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:07 AM »
Wow, you really have all the authentic trappings. Sometimes I think you were born in the wrong century...but the, I guess you could say all of us have that affliction to some degree, what with our affair with old guns! ^j)
Thanks for sharing. It's little things such as that which make your pictures so appealing and authentic.

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 04:18:03 PM »
Keep in mind though Capt., I don't choose to use the Decker because it was used back then. It just so happens that it never went out of style after all these years. It is the most common pack saddle used even today by every outfitter, packer, and enthusiast that takes stock into the mountains. You can still buy a complete brand new one from any tack supply vendor. In fact, I only know of one outfit that has made a major improvement to the design, but I can't remember the name. I have only seen one of them in person, but ftom the outside, it looks like a common Decker.

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »
Nice restoration Scooby; remember to take us along on your future pack-ins.