colt banner

Author Topic: Show us your flintlocks  (Read 1563 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Charcoal Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Show us your flintlocks
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2019, 08:39:01 PM »
That was a very enlightening and entertaining read.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2019, 07:42:04 PM »
Hi, I got to shoot my Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock today using black powder, not a substitute. Ignition of the main charge was almost instantaneous when pulling the trigger. This proves to me that only BP should be used for flintlocks.

Out of my four flintlock rifles, the Traditions Prairie Hawken flintlock is the fastest discharging rifle on trigger pull, instantaneous. I intend on shooting the Prairie tomorrow. The Prairie is also my most easily to clean flintlock.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2019, 04:38:37 AM »
Hi, there is a difference in the final cock position on trigger pull between the Pedersoli and Tradition locks. Notice the final cock position of the Pedersoli Kentucky and Hawken lock:

and the final cock position of the Traditions Kentucky and Hawken:

I think that the faster lock time for the Traditions rifles compared to the Pedersoli is that the flint final position of the Traditions is much closer to the open pan. IMO that directs the hammer sparks more efficiently.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »
This topic draws a pure interest from me. Flintlocks have never gained much attention on this forum, and rightfully so, given that it is a Colt based forum. However, my current interest in all historical firearms began with the flintlock, even before I got out of high school. I have spent quite some time on the study of them.

Initially, I intended to gather up my flintlocks for a group photo just for this thread, but then decided that I already had good pics of all of them scattered throughout my archives. So with that, I will post up some pics of them in order to continue the current participation.

Here are pics of two different "Schimmel" style flinters. They are also sometimes refered to as "Barn Guns." The term comes from rifle gunnes built with minimal furnature or carving. In other words, a rifle made for the working class. Some even lacked a butt plate. Most had no fore end enty pipe, nose cap, side plate, or toe plate. As well, most had minimal to no incise or relief carving on the wood.

The term Schimmel comes from German and Dutch origin. From there, the term can be traced to the gunsmiths from the Pennsylvania regions. As it is with the development of the American Long Rifle, there is always some speculation due to lack of documentation, minimal survival rate of original pieces, and the wide spread development and implemantation of the craft. Regardless, there is no other firearm that deserves more respect from us than the American Long rifle, regardless of the embellishment, or lack of, nor the region where such piece originated.

SANY0205 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

SANY0206 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

SANY0200 (2) by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

SANY0035 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

SANY0034 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

SANY0030 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

DSCN4223 by Steve OBrien, on Flickr

Offline ShotgunDave

• Charcoal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2019, 09:09:28 PM »
OMG Scooby! Those are gorgeous! I'd be proud to call any one of those mine.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2019, 04:42:52 AM »
Hi scooby, they're beautiful rifles. I especially like the simplicity of the plain-jane rifle (no patchbox). Tell us more about them, barrel length and caliber? Is the wood curly maple? Do you shoot them?

Thanks for the photos.

Regards,
Richard

Offline scooby

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2019, 10:48:25 AM »
Barrel length on first one is 44 in. Second is 42 in. Both are fifty cal. Curly Maple wood. I do shoot them.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
Hi, today I went out and shot my Traditions Kentucky flintlock today a couple of dozen times. Not long ago I learned that for instantaneous ignition real black powder should be used. Using Black Mz alone has an ignition delay. Today I tried loading 10gr of Olde Eynsford first followed by 40gr of Black Mz. 4f Swiss was used for the pan. Using the duplex loading had the rifle fire instantaneously with the bore left with almost no fouling. Accuracy was excellent and the 24th loading was as easy to load as a clean bore.

Regards,
Richard