colt banner

Author Topic: Show us your flintlocks  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Show us your flintlocks
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2019, 09:43:37 AM »
It's a Pedersoli...should shoot nice!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »
Agreed, Pedersoli makes very serviceable firearms. I also just remembered some more flintlocks I haven't posted before. Will be getting them out of the basement as soon as I can negotiate the stairs carrying guns L@.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2019, 03:53:26 AM »
Hi, the Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol arrived yesterday. It is a beauty, very well fitted and nicely made. The pistol even came with a fitted french flint. The only negative thing I have found so far is that the trigger pull is very heavy. I'll have to see what I can do about it. Some photos:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2019, 08:55:12 AM »
That looks very nice!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
Shoot it yet, Richard? _*&

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
Shoot it yet, Richard? _*&

Hi Kirk, not yet, still working over the parts. The trigger top and lock lever has been stoned smooth as glass. The trigger pull is still too heavy for my liking, but now operates much smoother. The trick to lighten the trigger pull is to narrow the sear spring. I have one of those springs on backorder from VTI.

Since I now have three Pedersoli flintlocks that use exactly the same lock, I ordered a new replacement lock for parts if ever needed:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8170/product_name/LK1105+PEDERSOLI+FLINT+LOCK

With sear springs over $20 and main spring $75 with corresponding higher parts price for other replacement lock parts, the new lock will cover any future need for lower cost, an investment.

The front of the muzzle is in the white, I'm going to cold blue it.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2019, 08:16:26 AM »
Hi, some people are just crazy, the tactical flintlock pistol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCsE1glfG0

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »
Hi, shot the .50 Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol this morning. Shot it a number of times two handed from 25ys, it produced ~3" groups. The lock time is instantaneous using a duplex loading. The trigger is still too heavy, but once fixed I suspect my group size would shrink. I was using a duplex loading, first 15gr Olde Eynsford followed by 30gr of Black Mz. The Olde Eynsford ignites quickly, the Black Mz maintains a non-fouled bore. A 0.010 lubed patch and 0.490" ball was used. That loading really had my steel targets scream.

This pistol is begging for a double set trigger. Finding one that would fit won't be easy.

All in all, this $350 Pedersoli Kentucky pistol is quite a bargain and a joy to shoot. It will also display well on a wall.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
Hi, I narrowed the sear spring. It helped some, but the trigger pull is still too heavy. The new Pedersoli lock arrived and it is exactly the same lock as all my Pedersoli flintlocks. To remove the main hammer spring a mainspring tool is required. I ordered that tool:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1038/1/TOOL-VISE-DX

I will narrow the mainspring to produce a lighter trigger pull.

Owning flintlocks is a bottomless cash pit.  :o

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
Hi, I narrowed the sear spring. It helped some, but the trigger pull is still too heavy. The new Pedersoli lock arrived and it is exactly the same lock as all my Pedersoli flintlocks. To remove the main hammer spring a mainspring tool is required. I ordered that tool:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1038/1/TOOL-VISE-DX

I will narrow the mainspring to produce a lighter trigger pull.

Owning flintlocks is a bottomless cash pit.  :o

Regards,
Richard

I wouldn't know (yet)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:36 AM »
Hi, I did a more polishing of the lock parts and narrowed the sear spring a little more. Lubriplate was applied to the lock parts with good result. I now have the trigger pull down to a smooth 8.5lbs, much better than the original rough 19+lbs. A double set trigger would be the perfect solution to have a light trigger pull, but I have yet to find a double set trigger that will fit.

BTW, the Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol price has been raised $150 from the $350 sale price. My wife always told me that timing was everything.  &\? &\? &\?

Regards,
Richard