colt banner

Author Topic: Chambers not lined up with bore  (Read 362 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Chambers not lined up with bore
« on: March 16, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »
 On one of my 1851 Navy's I noticed the chambers don't line up exactly correct with the bore. With the hammer cocked, you look down the bore and see the "crescent moon" chamber walls. For perspective, looking down the bore from the muzzle the crescent moon would be visible on your right. In other words the cylinder is rotating a bit too far when it reaches lockup.

Can this be corrected by simply making the hand shorter? Or would shortening the hand cause a whole domino effect on all the other action parts?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers not lined up with bore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:08:44 AM »
 If the hand is too long and the bolt is working correctly the hammer won't go to full cock. Are the bolt notches in the cylinder peened? Is the bolt coming up at least a bolt width before the notch? Is the bolt coming up on the other side of the notch? What happens if you cock it slow?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »
Hi Lonesome, it sounds like your bolt slot is incorrectly cut. That or the bolt is cut offset. You need a range rod (~3/8" drill rod) to check correct cylinder barrel alignment. Some of the newer Ubertis have the bolt contoured that may be the problem. I would try a new bolt for your brand and model revolver to see if it is an alignment problem with the installed bolt. If you can't find the problem, it sounds like a candidate for Goon to get your revolver fixed.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:22:09 PM »
 It does go to full cock. The bolt notches are not peened at all because it's in brand new condition. I am no expert but by listening I think the the bolt is coming up correctly into the lead-in about one both width before the notch. Cocking it slowly the clicks go 1.... 2... and then 3, 4 with clicks 3 and 4 occuring almost simultaneously.

I tried it with a hand from another gun and the chamber to bore allignment was the same or maybe a little worse. I put the original hand back in and then tried it with a bolt from another gun and allignment was slightly better but still not perfect.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 07:42:45 PM »
Try the same bolt and hand with a different hammer. It might be a hammer cam issue. BTW a Colt 51 shouldn't have but three clicks with two and three sounding as one. A click at half cock and two simultaneously at full cock.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 08:39:47 PM »
This is a Colt 2nd Gen, unfired but no box, which I found at a local gun shop for $425. Since it was unfired and on consignment they couldn't let me check the action. It has really good case colors and I figured for $425 I could probably get my money, or most of it, back out of it if it has problems. I will try switching hammers but I have done enough disassembly and reassembly for a while. I will probably try it tomorrow.

Richard, I think ultimately you are correct in that the bolt slot is mislocated.

It's a shame that Colt didn't do a better job with these because IMO they are the best looking cap n' balls. Some people get good ones but they are far from consistent. I think my 2017 made Uberti is a better gun.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:43:41 AM »
Hi Lonesome, an offset bolt slot can be repaired. Considering the potential value of your revolver as a collectable it may be worthwhile getting the revolver repaired. I would PM 45 Dragoon to discuss repair:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?action=profile;u=68

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:33:18 AM »
Thanks Richard, I have two Goonerized revolvers and they are remarkable, it's just that with any gunsmith, not only Mike, the wait time can be a factor. I could probably put this gun on consignment locally for $500 with the stipulation that anyone is free to check the action as they please. Colt's don't last long in my area. The gun is not unshootable, it's just not perfect. I may even shoot it first and see how it performs.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
Hey LonesomePigeon!!
  Thanks for the plug and now that my action is a standardized affair (meaning all springs and parts setup for the particular series (REM. NMA/NMN, Walker/Dragoon, Army/Navy, O.T.pocket guns, and ROA/3 screw Rugers) no matter the maker) are  "in stone", things move a little faster through here!  I think I may actually get caught up by summer but I'm trying to keep a 5-7 wk turnaround on new arrivals! This basically means that the "R&D" (which really takes a lot of time) is over!
  This also means the action setup is mine and is akin to a Freedom Arms type action. It is definitely a "world class" setup and I'm very proud of it! It's proving itself worthy in the competition world as an extremely durable and maintenance free action and you WON'T, tear it up!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 08:25:10 AM »
Update: I took a bolt out of a new Uberti '51 and tried it in this 2nd Gen. The Uberti bolt dropped right in and timed correctly as best I can tell. It also improved the chamber to bore alignment, it's still not perfect but it's better. This made me confident enough to shoot the gun and I fired about 4 or 5 cylinders worth. The gun shot fine and it was pretty accurate. I didn't really have time to really check accuracy but it seemed to do about 2" at 15 yards. The POI was about 6" high and 2" right at 15 yards.