colt banner

Author Topic: Conversion revolvers V 72 models  (Read 127 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Conversion revolvers V 72 models
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
I have been contemplating beginning to start setting aside nickles, dimes and quarters for a 1872 cartridge purposed revolver.

HOWEVER

I have reservations on the possible differences between the 1851 revolver which I could permanently change into the revolver that I am sure has the correct FEEL and dimensions versus the unknown [ to me] feel and measurements of a 1872 revolver.

I want a revolver to be chambered in 38 special with the barrel to be punched for the .357 calibre as well. It must have the dimensions of the 51 navy/61 navy with a slightly shorter barrel length ... say 5 inch or so ... about even with the ejector housing. I want the navy grip with the round trigger guard loop.

So question is ... will the 72 have these quality's or will I need to build it meself ? I have modified a 60 army to 45 colt and a 3 inch barrel but I desire a 36 dimensioned short gun that has the afore mentioned .357 cal barrel so I am not stuck with hollow based wadcutters for accuracy nor needing to use heeled bullets for accuracy.

Can I possibly get opinions and comparisons on these 72 revolvers compared to what I desire in my next possible purchase?
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Conversion revolvers V 72 models
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »
Hi Ted, buying an already converted revolver is your lowest cost option. IMO the only reason to do the conversion yourself would be for the education and if you already own an extra 1851 C&B revolver. You may want to check out this revolver:

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/open-top-revolver-1851-navy.html?___SID=U

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 10:39:39 AM »
The originals only came with a 7 1/2 inch barrel but Uberti makes them in 4 3/4, 5 1/2 and 7 1/2. To get the barrel even with the ejector rod housing you want a 4 3/4. I'd go with the 72. You get the correct bore diameter, a barrel mounted rear sight and no ram hole.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
  • Show Me Shootout 2014 - TTN Hammer gun & BP
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 06:07:18 PM »
I thank yee. My main concern is in dimensions. I do know about the best buy thing but ... if the frame or cylinder or even the barrel outer diameter is different than chances are the revolver will not handle like what I desire.

In my estimation, if the dimensions are larger such as the 73 is ... then cost be danged ... I will convert a 51/61 revolver and sleeve the barrel to arrive at what I want.

Do any have one of each to report a comparison for me? My goal is to achieve the 51 feel in the revolver and still be chambered and bored for 38 special.

I would love to order the Uberti 72 in 4.75 inch barrel, but if it don't FEEL right ... then I will still have to build what I want ... and beings cash don't grow on any Oregonian tree I know of ... I would rather save once for what I am hoping to achieve.

I have owned and shot a second gen Colt 73 in 357 mag with the 5.5 inch barrel. Heavy bugger and handled like crap. Sold it at a loss cause it jest dint fit nor feel right to me. If the 72 model is as heavy and awkward as that crud pile, then that is what I am inquiring about. I guess another way of asking is thus ... is the 72 Uberti in 38 special just a 45 colt gun punched to the smaller 38 cal through the same size metal as houses the 45 model ... or is the 38 navy smaller then the 45 army like the 51 ... 60 difference?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:16:40 PM by bigted »
BIGTED

Offline ShotgunDave

• Charcoal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:53:26 PM »
The frames on the 51/60 guns are the same. The only difference is the rebate cut into the Army frame to accommodate the larger cylinder.

Taylor's has the 72' Open Top listed in .45 or .38. Here's a link to the .38

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/open-top-revolver-1851-navy.html?___SID=U

It has the Navy backstrap and trigger guard.

"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 10:24:37 AM »
Ted,

Here are some dimensions from my pistols:

2nd Gen 1861 - .36 cal, 7 1/2 inch barrel
2nd Gen 1851 - 36 cal, 7 1/2 inch barrel
Uberti 1861 - 36 cal, 7 1/2 inch barrel
Navy Arms Frontiersman - 36 cal, 5 inch barrel
Uberti Richards Mason - 38 spcl, 5 1/2 inch barrel
Man With No Name - 38 spcl, 7 1/2 inch barrel

Cylinder Diameter:
2nd Gen 1861 - 1.530
2nd Gen 1851 - 1.535
Uberti 1861 - 1.535
Navy Arms Frontiersman - 1.535
Uberti Richards Mason - 1.635
Uberti Man With No Name - 1.630

Pistol weight:
2nd Gen 1861 - 2 lb 12 oz
2nd Gen 1851 - 2 lb 9 oz
Uberti 1861 - 2 lb 11 oz
Navy Arms Frontiersman - 2 lb 8 oz
Uberti Richards Mason - 2 lb 10 oz
Man With No Name - 2 lb 12 oz

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 04:39:11 PM »
Thankyou. That is the very info I sought. Also found on the Dixie description of the 71/72 of barrel diameter and revolver weight. All this leads me to think that the 38 cimmeron or taylors 38 models 71/72 Colts are indeed what I am lookin for.

Now next Question ... what if any is the difference between the Cimmaron revolvers and the Taylors revolvers. Both built by Uberti. The Taylor's is some bit more expensive is why I ask.

Also these open top 72 Uberti's ... do they need the typical arbor length fix like the percussion models?
BIGTED

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 05:09:23 PM »
There used to be a Rumor going around that Taylors and Cimarron were cherry picked but that's pretty much been disproved. Yes the arbor will still need to be fixed. I do like the barrel address on my 73 Cimarron better than the run of the mill Cattleman.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »
Cimarron vs Taylor?  6 of one half-dozen of the other.  Get the pistol from who ever has the cheapest price.

Check with Buffalo Arms too, they are about $80.00 cheaper than Cimarron or Taylors.   

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 04:14:29 AM »
Thanks fellers. Great reply's.
BIGTED