colt banner

Author Topic: Loading up some BP in the 44WCF  (Read 314 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
Re: Loading up some BP in the 44WCF
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »
Terrific write up, Dave! Thank you, sir!
I'll be doing mine soon on 'taking the opposite fork in the trail'....44-40 with smokeless. Your thread has made me decide to try BP loads for sure, down the road.
One question; which Lee FCD did you use, the .44WCF die (I assume?) and is it the standard carbide FCD or a collet die? You may recall I had issues using the FCD (non-collet) on my .44 mag rounds.

Thank you Capt! It's my pleasure.

The FCD I used is a collet die, and is indeed for 44WCF. I have a similar die for .45 Colt but it has an adjustment on it. The 44WCF does not have that.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 06:51:03 PM »
Terrific write up, Dave! Thank you, sir!
I'll be doing mine soon on 'taking the opposite fork in the trail'....44-40 with smokeless. Your thread has made me decide to try BP loads for sure, down the road.
One question; which Lee FCD did you use, the .44WCF die (I assume?) and is it the standard carbide FCD or a collet die? You may recall I had issues using the FCD (non-collet) on my .44 mag rounds.

Captain, I may be incorrect but do not think you can get 44WCF in carbide dies as it is a bottle neck case.  BTW, BP is the only way to go in this cartridge.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »
I've read the stories about problems loading the 44-40. I have to say, I experienced no such trouble. Maybe beginners luck.

Congratulations on loading 44WCF with black! I love this cartridge. I think the reason so many folks have issures with this cartride when reloading it is they forget that is is not a straight wall pistol cartridge. it is a bottle neck. Once I have reminded a couple friends of this, troubles ceased. I use 33 grains Goes 3 F powder.

Enjoy!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »
Thanks tljack!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 08:44:04 PM »
I actually put about 70 of these rounds through the Winchester today. They all functioned and performed perfectly. I'll do an in depth report tomorrow on them. I spent about 10 hours at the range today, so I'm too pooped to use my brain tonight.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 11:58:14 AM »
Shotgun Dave.

I am interested to know haw much fouling if any you find to the rear of the chamber. In my Winchester 73, it is almost non existent. I have only shot BP in that gun.
Spose I am one of those nasty purists. If it was originally made for black that is what I use. Of course I'd never lower myself and use that pretend stuff. ha ha

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 03:11:17 PM »
Shotgun Dave.

I am interested to know haw much fouling if any you find to the rear of the chamber. In my Winchester 73, it is almost non existent. I have only shot BP in that gun.
Spose I am one of those nasty purists. If it was originally made for black that is what I use. Of course I'd never lower myself and use that pretend stuff. ha ha

tljack, that's a great question. I've read a lot about the 44-40 vs 45 Colt in the 66-73 Winchester. Most people say that the 45 Colt makes a mess out of the action due to blow by. I have no experience with the 45 in the 66, but I will say this, after 70 rounds of 44-40 black powder full power loads, the action needed nothing more than a little wipe. It was squeaky clean!

Here's the outside after a day at the range and 70 rounds.

And I'm with you, the gun was designed for use with BP. So that's what I'll stick to using.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:13:50 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 03:23:27 PM »
I also wanted to say, the rounds I made up worked perfectly. I didn't have a single problem and they all went "bang" when I pulled the trigger.

As I stated earlier in this post, I used SPG lube on the bullets. I have to say, it worked as advertised. The gun never got sticky and the barrel did not lead up at all, even after 70 rounds.

Here's the muzzle after the days events. Lots of lube all over it.

Here's a dry patch that I ran down the barrel before anything else. I just wanted to see how the residue looked. It was nice and juicy and came right out. It only took about 10 patches with Balistol on them to get it clean.

Overall, I'm really happy with the way this load performed.

One more thing, The Capt asked me about the fired cases. So this picture is for him. On the left is the fired round. You can see that it did indeed fire form at the shoulder, compared to a fresh loaded round.

-Abe Lincoln