colt banner

Author Topic: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder  (Read 182 times)

Online ShotgunDave

• Charcoal Burner
    • View Profile
Re: 12ga Brass shells loaded with black powder
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 03:21:46 PM »
You guys might find this interesting.

This box of shells has been in my family for a long time. When I was about 17 years old (I'm 55 now), my step brother and I were going to the shooting range with a couple buddies. We had my step Dad's Browning A5 with us, and we were going to see how it handled. My step brother remembered that his Dad had a couple boxes of shells in the closet, so we grabbed one and headed out to shoot the gun. This box is the one we left behind. Oddly enough, the paper hulls cycled perfectly through that A5.

Turns out, these shells belonged to my step Dad's father. He wasn't too pleased with us for shooting them either! He immigrated to the US in 1944 from then Yugoslavia. He was fleeing the Nazi's. My step Dad was 5 years old at the time. He bought those shells sometime shortly after that, so I'm guessing mid to late 40's. He used them in his J.Stevens Model 311 SxS to hunt rabbits and quail for dinner. I'm just glad we didn't shoot both boxes!

I now have the 311 in my possession too. But it's not shootable, thanks to my brother. Let's just say the barrels are a little too short now. I'd like to find a replacement set and put it back into action someday.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:40:56 PM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 03:33:44 PM »
Lovin' it, Dave!
I may have to post up some of my, err...'stuff' that was Dad's. You might get a kick out of it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online ShotgunDave

• Charcoal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
Lovin' it, Dave!
I may have to post up some of my, err...'stuff' that was Dad's. You might get a kick out of it.

Of course I will!
-Abe Lincoln

Online ShotgunDave

• Charcoal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »
Holy moly! I just searched eBay, looking for these old Federal shotshells. There's people trying to sell just the empty box for $50! Wonder what my full box is worth?!?!

I also have a Western Super X box of .410 paper shells. There's a couple missing, but it's nearly a full box. I think it's from the 50's.

I may need to re-think this hanging on to family heirlooms thing.  (7+"

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:52:12 PM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »
Keep an eye on this auction.   https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewitem.php?item=1388 
It isn't over till the end of the month but it'll give you an idea what someone is willing to pay.

Online ShotgunDave

• Charcoal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 07:11:15 PM »
Thanks Mike. I'll watch that.

Mine is in much better shape than that one too.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 07:16:39 PM »
I now have the 311 in my possession too. But it's not shootable, thanks to my brother. Let's just say the barrels are a little too short now. I'd like to find a replacement set and put it back into action someday.

Good luck. I looked for a set of full length barrels for my 311 made in 57 for years with no luck.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Online ShotgunDave

• Charcoal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 07:21:11 PM »

Good luck. I looked for a set of full length barrels for my 311 made in 57 for years with no luck.

They pop up from time to time Hawg. I missed a set on eBay a few weeks ago. There's a mostly complete gun on GB right now. It's missing the forend and iron, but I don't need that. The opening bid is only $60. I doubt if anyone will bid on it. I messaged the seller and asked if he'd just send me the barrels if I win the auction. He said no, he wants the whole gun gone. I may still bid on it. I just didn't want to pay the $35 transfer fee to my FFL just to get the barrels.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 10:14:44 PM »
Not all 311 barrels will interchange. There's differences between some of the models. Mine is a 311 H. I found a few 311 barrels but none had the same latch as mine. No matter, I can't afford a set now anyway.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.