Author Topic: Paterson Pics  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
Re: Paterson Pics
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 05:31:22 PM »
Thanks! Karma comin' your way! (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
Re: Paterson Pics
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »
Valid point there. One would be better off if one would keep in mind the simple concept of original. So many times, we apply modern mindset to the older design revolvers. We shoot substitutes, try to push the limits on velocity, compare them to Rugar Old Armies, buy them with adjustable sights, re-design conicals for them, bitch about cap jams, replace the cones with modern alloy ones, argue over the best lubes to use, and debate the best way to clean them so they won't get a spot of rust.  :P

If we buy a Paterson replica and treat it as such, we can find pleasure. Same with a Walker. But instead, we decide that the Paterson is too slow to load, the Walker too heavy to carry, the grips on a a pocket modle too small for "my beefy hands," and the balistics of the .31 calibre too weak as a man stopper.  :P

I am trying to get one of every Colt open top modle made back in the day and enjoy the quirks of each one  :)

HOW VERY TRUE...!

I'm also trying to get Uberti reproductions of all that percussion model pistols, Colt made back in the day. There are some, such as the 1851 Navy, the 1860 Army, and the third model Dragoon, that I already have doubled up on the iterations of them.

For instance I have two 1860 Armys with the fluted cylinder, and two 1860 Armys with the unfluted cylinder. I have two 1851 Navy revolvers with the round trigger guard and when I can find them, I will get two with the square back trigger guard. I will also buy two London model 1851 Navys, as I find them.

I will also buy every second generation Colt Percussion revolver that I can find, that is reasonably priced, and in pristine condition.

I'm having a problem with my iterations of the Uberti percussion revolvers, and my second generation Colts though. When my wife sees one that is different, with good Color Case Hardening, she wants it cased, outfitted with accessories, and put on untouched display. She she has an unquenchable like for Victorian era firearms, furniture and dishes. I think that makes me pretty fortunate...!

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.