colt banner

Author Topic: Shotgun Shell Belt  (Read 126 times)

Online ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
Shotgun Shell Belt
« on: June 09, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »
I needed a belt to hold my shotshells, so I decided to make one instead of buying one. This is my first try at making something lined. I think it turned out pretty good.

I came up with the design on my own, and it's all hand stitched. It took me 2 days just to complete the stitching. My hands hurt like hell! But it was worth it to have something designed and made by myself.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: Shotgun Shell Belt
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:16:47 PM »
Great job Dave! That's a hell of a lot of hand stitching. I've done 2 belts by hand, but have since befriended someone with a Cowboy 3200 sewing machine. What a dream that is! I'll keep hand stitching smaller stuff like holsters, because I think it looks so much better (I'm sure my sewing machine skills, which are at zero, may improve).

I'm doing a bandelero for a guy that holds 30 cigars. He wants to wear it at a big cigar retailers show later in the money. That's been a fun project, since he supplied the cigars and unfortunately some of them were "damaged" during the process (turned to ash!!). I'll try to remember to put up a picture before it leaves the workbench.

Looks like you enjoy leather work as much as I do. I'm having a blast with it.
-Mick

Online ShotgunDave

• Black Powder Syndicate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »
Great job Dave! That's a hell of a lot of hand stitching. I've done 2 belts by hand, but have since befriended someone with a Cowboy 3200 sewing machine. What a dream that is! I'll keep hand stitching smaller stuff like holsters, because I think it looks so much better (I'm sure my sewing machine skills, which are at zero, may improve).

I'm doing a bandelero for a guy that holds 30 cigars. He wants to wear it at a big cigar retailers show later in the money. That's been a fun project, since he supplied the cigars and unfortunately some of them were "damaged" during the process (turned to ash!!). I'll try to remember to put up a picture before it leaves the workbench.

Thanks ML!

Yes, the hand stitching is tedious at best. I even have a stitching pony to hold the work, and that helps. It's really the pulling the thread tight after each stitch that kills me. My fingers get REALLY sore. Having arthritis doesn't help. But I still enjoy the hell out of it! Great satisfaction completing a project and having it turn out just as you had planned.

I'd love to see the cigar bandolero when it's done. That sounds like a really fun project, with the added benefit of having to dispose of the cigars afterward!

And yes, I really enjoy doing the leatherwork. Even though I'm a complete novice. But practice makes perfect.
"Never trust quotes from the internet"
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:19:47 PM »

Thanks ML!

Yes, the hand stitching is tedious at best. I even have a stitching pony to hold the work, and that helps. It's really the pulling the thread tight after each stitch that kills me. My fingers get REALLY sore. Having arthritis doesn't help. But I still enjoy the hell out of it! Great satisfaction completing a project and having it turn out just as you had planned.

I'd love to see the cigar bandolero when it's done. That sounds like a really fun project, with the added benefit of having to dispose of the cigars afterward!

And yes, I really enjoy doing the leatherwork. Even though I'm a complete novice. But practice makes perfect.

Yeab, without a stitching pony it would be a horrible job. The pony makes it bearable. I'm still very much a novice too...but learn with every job. I'll put up some pics if I can remember.......
-Mick

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 03:30:46 AM »
Hi Dave, that sure is one seriously looking belt. You need to be careful that the feds don't have you put it in the category with bump stocks, suppressors, and machine guns.  ;) ;) ;)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 06:30:50 AM »
Sure looks good to me! (jh
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"