Author Topic: my 1862 fiasco  (Read 3091 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
my 1862 fiasco
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:19:39 PM »
well just wanted to post my fiasco with my 2nd gen colt. my what a disappointment this little pistol has been. for all its problems and trials ... this is one of the funnest pistols i own to shoot and mess with.

-very first thing was the nipples from a brand new pistol ... had to be replaced.
-second thing after getting good nipples was to have to shave the hammer where it was contacting the frame and not getting the protrusion it needed.
- third thing that I did wrong with it was trying the ultrasonic cleaner ... pictures show what happened to the pristine bluing.
-forth thing was the trigger and bolt spring breaking and needing to be replaced.
- now i see that the cylinder stud is too short by nearly 1/8th inch witch i will need to work on here directly.
- the other thing is that the frame is not clearanced enough to allow the busted caps to escape when cocked for the next shot ... equalling jams and hard times installing the caps in the first place.

the stupid thing just continues to give me experience after experience ... at least it cost a lot ... LOL.

this is the absolute funnest shooting pistol tho ... for all the tribulations i have gone thru it be cool in the grandest. so that is my sordid tale and now ... with no further adieu ... here she be !

so there she be. a fun shooter but my ... what a road we have been down. photo's leave a bit to be desired but it be the best i know how to do.

BIGTED

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
Re: my 1862 fiasco
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »
man, that's a bummer you had so many problems with a Colt!  Them ole Uberti's and Piettas might have their issues, but I reckon I been pretty lucky!
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
Ted, I love the look of the blueing.  Looks real weathered and ol'timey.  *?.
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:31:15 PM »
man, that's a bummer you had so many problems with a Colt!  Them ole Uberti's and Piettas might have their issues, but I reckon I been pretty lucky!

It basically is a Uberti. It was built with Uberti parts anyway. But I agree, Colt should have never let it out the door.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:53:58 PM »
that finish nearly made me throw up i will have to say. i put it in the ultrasonic to ensure it got clean and also to try it out and MAN ... i pulled it out and shoved it under hot water to rinse her off for what i thought was just gunk and it all stayed on there. took a soft towel and began to wipe it and still held this mottled old timey  look. i couldnt believe my eyes as i looked at my precious Colt ... but soon i got used to it and i gotta say that what with all the stuff i had to do to make her run ... this finish allowed me to dig rite in and take the bull by the horns.

all in all ... even with all the drama ... this lil colt is a hoot to shoot and that penny on the front gets those balls rite on target when i do my part. think when the dust settles i will try another in a different barrel length but this time it will be Pietta or Uberti ... HA !!!
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
Ted; if I may make a suggestion;
All is not lost. With your pristine bluing job gone, there is NOTHING stopping you from digging in with the files and sandpaper and making this revolver the best there is, inside and out.....and once you're done and have wood and metal perfect, bring it to a professional gunsmith for a premium bluing job. A competent 'smith can do a far better job than many of the Ubertis and Colts I've seen, and as in painting motorcycles,  ;) finish depends about 10% on the finish itself, the rest is all prep. You can do that time-consuming prep and detailing yourself, until you deem it perfect, BEFORE you drop it off at the 'smith.
Here are a couple (rather poor) photos of my 1860 Army kit gun I built when Hector was a pup. I paid $60.00 to have a 'smith dip this one in the hot tank and it looks better than ANY of my other guns, my Uberti Dragoon included. Look at your little adventure as a blessing in disguise and when life gives ya lemons, make lemonade!

My Armi San Paolo kit-built 1860 Army

Deep, rich, hot bluing professionally done
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »
VERY NICE.  at this point anyway i kinda like this in a kinda oldish look. sides i aint done yet ... i think. LOL

nice looking job on your 60. definetely dont look like the same pistol now ... nice job!
BIGTED

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »
Rename it. "ULTRA-SONIC BAD ASS" ;)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »
Hi bigted, sorry to hear about your tribulations with the revolver. What did you use in the ultrasonic cleaner? I like that look, it looks old and well used.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »
I had the 'soap' that came with the hornaday ultrasonic cleaner. I had shot the little Colt and it were pretty filthy so there was a bunch of BP fouling on and in it. it didn't take but about 15 minutes to provide that finish. I like it better each time I look at it but ... when it happened it made me sick to my stomach.

it were a HAPPY accident for sure as I find myself reluctant to do anything about it. I ... like most others ... like it better then any other finish that coulda come on it ... now!!
BIGTED

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:34:41 AM »

She sure is purty!  I like that antiqued finish.

How did you solder that penny on?
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »
So thats how Cimarron does the original finish - it's about $100 extra. how much is the ultrasonic cleaner?
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 10:07:18 AM »
the penny is soldered on with soft silver solder and a propane torch. the next penny I did came out a lot better tho as I took my small dremel and a small cut off wheel and put a slot in the barrel where the penny would slip in the slot for more sturdy position before soldering ... then I positioned the torch on the inside of the barrel mostly with a little flame going on the front of the penny ... next after it got hot enough to melt the soft silver solder and having fluxed it before hand ... I dabbed the solder on the crack where the penny is down in the slot I carved and continued to dab the solder till the slot/crack filled with solder ... then I allow it to cool completely before I even touched it. after the solder job I took a jewelers file with a very pointed tip and worked carefully around the penny to make it all look the same. then after a good cleaning I took some cold blue from Birchwood Casey and touched it up where there were shiny metal showing ... walla ... even this one armed turkey can do it ... im sure you would have no problem ... just go slow and think everything out completely before putting action to thought.

my cleaner was a gift so I don't completely know the cost but I have seen em for under 150 on sale at times ... that's the big one that will hold a bunch of cases ... or a Colt 62 Police ... LOL but the cost is a push as the other cleanings it will perform are a pure bonus ... besides ... how many revolvers would you re-finish in this way at 100 dollars a pop doing it elsewhere? takes the cost and averages it out so the final cost is pretty low ... and yes you CAN take this argument to use when you need one for the justification for another thing in the loading room. your welcome ... LOL ...  L@J
BIGTED

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 02:47:29 PM »

BigTed, thanks for that info!  I'm looking at my short 58 Rem, would like to replace that post sight.  I have a propane torch, silver solder and jewelers files, should be good to go.  Wish me luck! 
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 04:16:17 AM »
I have a Cimarron 1851 I'd love to run through that cleaner. I have two of them ones the "original" finish and it be great if they both matched
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com