Author Topic: wells fargo  (Read 6102 times)

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
Re: wells fargo
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »
Most guys use an off-gun press, Mark.

http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/catalog/bd_cyl_loader.html

You could also make one yourself fairly easy.

I have one of those and they are pretty darned good!  I use it for my snubbie 51 too.  There are two different jigs, so you can load all your percussion revolvers with it
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 07:36:12 AM »
Hi, I had my first problem with my Uberti Wells Fargo 1849 with 32S&W conversion cylinder yesterday. After shooting a few dozen shots with the Wells Fargo the conversion cylinder began to lock up and wouldn't rotate. I removed the conversion cylinder and replaced it with the cap and ball cylinder. The cap and ball cylinder was also locked up. After a bit of study, it appeared that the revolver hand was getting jammed in the hand slot and wouldn't lift up through the slot completely. I then disassembled the revolver and found that the hand had widened with peened over metal on the top edge. I stoned off the peened metal and rounded the hand end a little. That freed the hand in the slot, but now my timing is slightly off were I need to pull the hammer back fast to have the bolt drop in properly. Removing the peening and rounding the hand end must have shortened it to the point where the timing is now off. I ordered two new hands for this revolver in hopes of fixing the timing. I have a feeling that the new hands will have the same issue in time with a lot of shooting since the hand is very soft steel. I'm beginning to wonder if these Uberti 1849 Pockets are designed for carry much, shoot little?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 08:36:40 AM »
Update.      I have found that loading is not the problem I was concerned about. I am able to use arbor pin to push the ball in. Or I can push ball and cyl against something hard to get it in, then seat the ball with the cyl pin. I got Lees 319 mold and use soft lead. So far no problem with balls backing out under recoil. Does seem quite accurate' too. Really enjoying this little rascal. Thanks everyone.         Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 09:03:56 AM »
Hi, I had my first problem with my Uberti Wells Fargo 1849 with 32S&W conversion cylinder yesterday. After shooting a few dozen shots with the Wells Fargo the conversion cylinder began to lock up and wouldn't rotate. I removed the conversion cylinder and replaced it with the cap and ball cylinder. The cap and ball cylinder was also locked up. After a bit of study, it appeared that the revolver hand was getting jammed in the hand slot and wouldn't lift up through the slot completely. I then disassembled the revolver and found that the hand had widened with peened over metal on the top edge. I stoned off the peened metal and rounded the hand end a little. That freed the hand in the slot, but now my timing is slightly off were I need to pull the hammer back fast to have the bolt drop in properly. Removing the peening and rounding the hand end must have shortened it to the point where the timing is now off. I ordered two new hands for this revolver in hopes of fixing the timing. I have a feeling that the new hands will have the same issue in time with a lot of shooting since the hand is very soft steel. I'm beginning to wonder if these Uberti 1849 Pockets are designed for carry much, shoot little?

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I received a new hand for my Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo and installed it. No length adjustment was required, just a slight 0.002" narrowing of the hand. The revolver timing now works perfectly again with cap & ball and .32S&W conversion cylinders.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
Glad it worked out so well for you.          Mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 12:05:38 PM »
Hi, I received a new hand for my Uberti 1849 Wells Fargo and installed it. No length adjustment was required, just a slight 0.002" narrowing of the hand. The revolver timing now works perfectly again with cap & ball and .32S&W conversion cylinders.

Regards,
Richard

Richard, have you thought about treating the new hand with Kasenit?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »

Richard, have you thought about treating the new hand with Kasenit?

Hi Captain, I did consider hardening the hand, but then began wondering what is better, wear the hand or cylinder ratchet. The hand is much easier to replace and fix IMO. I'll let the hand wear.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »
Well, I thought about that, but Kasenit is really not the same as true case hardening or even heat-treating. Just a suggestion.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline washbuster

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 10:24:08 PM »
I use .319 balls

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:07 AM »
are ya'll using conversion cylinders in the original .32 S & W, or are you talking about .32 S & W L?  I have an old Hopkins & Allen topbreak .32 in the original short cases, I believe my roundball loads are a bit more powerful, can't put much 3ffg in those little cases.  Fun gun, the .32 though.  I prefer my little Wells Fargo with the cap and ball cylinder, (been known to carry it).  ET is working on a set of grips for a Baby Dragoon i picked up a while back, that one i ain't shot yet, but both are ASM brassers, one with and one without the loading lever
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »

Regards,
Richard

Regards,
Richard

Hi, this widening hand issue that locks up the action appears to be systemic. Yesterday I had my son-in-law down in my basement shooting .22s and 32 S&W. The Remington 1863 just hums along without a hitch, but the 1849 Colt Wells Fargo had the same hand peening issue as experienced before where the action gets locked up. I'm going to narrow the hand so it easily fits through the frame slot with room to spare and will see about doing what Kirk suggested, hardening the hand.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
Sounds like reasonable next step to me Richard.   I might order another hand and make a duplicate to have as a spare if the original keeps widening and locking up.   If you make a matching spare now then you would have a drop in replacement ready to go if and when the hand screws up again.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 08:43:51 AM »
Hi Mike, I had a spare 1849 hand that I eventually put in the Wells Fargo. I kept trying to smooth and shape the old hand, but nothing worked, the action would still lock up. Glad I had the spare hand. I ordered a replacement hand from VTI, $23.50 and two from Dixie, $9 each. I know that the VTI will work, but taking a chance on the Dixie hands. These little BP revolvers are cute, but so critical on parts fitting to provide reliable function. The larger framed revolvers seem to be more forgiving.

Regards,
Richard

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 10:44:57 AM »
I should have known you would have a spare on hand Richard.   Those Boy Scouts you allow to shoot at your place have taught you to be well prepared.  More likely it's you teaching them lessons in preparedness.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »
Hi Mike, be prepared is indeed a motto of mine. I now have three spare hands for my 1849s if that problem ever occurs again. Interesting that Dixie sells them for half the price as VTI. Kirk has the perfect solution, harden the hand. However, I would rather have an occasional deformed hand than potentially excessive ratchet wear on my conversion cylinders.

These little bitties were designed for carry much, shoot little. They are the king of Colts for cap sucking.  L@. L@. L@.

Regards,
Richard