Author Topic: Uberti 1862 Quailty issues.  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Holeinhide

• View Profile
Uberti 1862 Quailty issues.
« on: January 24, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
I just picked up an Uberti 1862 police with a 5 1/2 in barrel from midway usa. The quality was not what I expected. I consider the re pros kit guns any way, but this one was quite bad. I wish I had taken some before pictures, but was so miffed I just went right to work on it..  The first thing I noticed was the hammer was miss cast and a lot of flash was left on it. The next problem and the worst was the arbor lock pin was never peened so the arbor would rock side to side a bit.  The wood to frame fit is more off than normal and most of the screws were buggerd and re blued. It was factory hot blue on the screws so it looks as it came from Uberti this way. So I am wondering if any else has gotten this poor of a gun from Uberti? Seems to me that the Italians take turns at the bottom of the heap and it is Uberti's turn as all the pietta's   I have gotten lately are very nice guns. In the pics you can see how deep I had to peen the arbor pin to get it to lock. The area shown for the hammer is cleaned up there used to be a flash ridge there and if you look close you can see that the face is not quite right and the safety slot is not centered.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Uberti 1862 Quailty issues.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »
I have 3 Uberti made revolvers.   All are very good quality but none of them were made in the last 5 years.    I would have attempted to return any BP revolver I received new that had any play in the arbor.    It is my understanding that since Uberti retooled a couple years ago there has been some problems with recently made guns.   I have not purchased a new one though so I can't say from first hand knowledge.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 09:24:37 AM »
Hi Holeinhide, it's too bad you messed with the revolver. You should have sent it back for replacement.

In the last few months I purchased the Uberti 1862 Pocket Navy. Other than the improperly fitted arbor, the revolver was in good shape, see this thread:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=901.0

Other experience with Uberti shows the quality to be poorer than current Pietta's.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Holeinhide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
It is a new one with a 2014 date on the frame.  As for the arbor the movement was rotational only and very slight.  I have been fixing up garage sale re pros for years and enjoy the challenge.  If I did not have the 25 years of metal working experience it would have gone back. Now that the work is done it is a nice little gun.  I have several older Ubertis and quite a few Piettas, this is the first one I have ever gotten in this condition from the factory.  It is how ever the last Uberti I will buy mail order.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 10:45:26 PM »
Update on this one...have you shot it yet, now that warmer weather is here?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hogleg Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:21:24 PM »
I have a pair of these on backorder. 6-8 months to wait. Hope it will be worth it.

Offline Holeinhide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:52:36 AM »
I have taken out to the range a few times now. This gun is a pleasure to shoot great balance and pointability. Every repro I have ever seen needs some work,but I just think that with the extra price of an Uberti it should come with extra quality. I sent an Email to Uberti and they did offer to repair replace the gun, but after quite a few hours of stoning she is smooth as silk and timed just right so its a keeper. It is a shame that Pietta does not make a true 1862 or an 1849 for that matter, the competition would be good for prices. Hogleg it will be worth the wait I just hope the quality inspector is awake when he looks at your guns. The pocket model colts are just plane fun to shoot.  :-*

Offline StrawHat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 03:32:44 AM »
I consider all Italian replicas to be kit guns.  Some need a bit more work than others but all of them need work.

Having said that, the earlier Uberti's (1960 and 70s) seem to need less work than current specimens of the same model.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com