Photobucket

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 07:23:PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Mojave Desert Marksmen Rondy was a good time, resting up and practicing for next year
18187 Posts in 1404 Topics by 102 Members
Latest Member: GaryC
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Revolvers/Pistols
| |-+  YE OLD GUN SHOP
| | |-+  DIY Heeled Bullet mould?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: DIY Heeled Bullet mould?  (Read 1559 times)
ofitg

« on: January 08, 2013, 02:20:PM »

Took an old LEE 380-RB mould, swung the sprue cutter out of the way, and then drilled into the top of the blocks with a 9.0 mm bit -

This is what the mould cavity looks like now -

The bullet on the left was cast with the modified LEE mould, weighs 90 grains.

The heeled slug on the right was cast with an old Rapine 380100 mould.

S4B
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:28:PM »

I'm confused, and believe me, that doesn't take much, but wouldn't that make the base a larger diameter, and not smaller like the heeled bullet should be?Huh??? Huh?

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson
S4B
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:58:PM »

After re-reading a couple of times, I think I got it. If you'd drilled half way,it wouldn't work, but by only going say 1/4 of the way, you get the heel. You're a pretty fart smeller, or is that smart feller. Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:01:PM by S4B » Logged

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson
Old Dragoon

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:28:PM »

Veddy Interesting!
 I shoot heeled bullets in my 44 colt conversions when I shoot. I did buy one of Bernie's double mold .248 Grn. 44 Colt molds, but have never used it yet. I say yet as I purchased from Bernie, all the 44 Colt bullets I have shot, still have over 300 ready to go.
You mold looks pretty good to cast " Heeled Round Ball" . Never heard of it, but it sure looks easy to load, after having loaded round ball in cartridges before.
Let us know how they fly!

"I know you think you understand what you heard me say, but what you think you heard me say isn't necessarily what I meant"
Fuzzy

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:25:PM »

To ask a stupid question...
what would be the differance between a heeled bullet and a hollow base bullet?
Does one work better than ther other
i am curios to know...
forgive me for my lack of knowledge Huh?

thx
ofitg

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 04:33:PM »

After re-reading a couple of times, I think I got it. If you'd drilled half way,it wouldn't work, but by only going say 1/4 of the way, you get the heel. You're a pretty fart smeller, or is that smart feller. Cheesy

S48, the 9mm bit was about 0.02" narrower than the ball's diameter...... it's kinda hard to see, but in the second photo, the bit drilled down into the mould blocks until it reached into the spherical cavity..... so the cast slug is basically a .380 ball with a 9mm shank on the end.
ofitg

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 04:57:PM »

To ask a stupid question...
what would be the differance between a heeled bullet and a hollow base bullet?
Does one work better than ther other
i am curios to know...
forgive me for my lack of knowledge Huh?

thx

Fuzzy, the heeled bullet has a reduced-diameter heel (or shank, if you want to call it that) on the rear of the bullet, which will fit into the mouth of a cartridge case. The front part of the bullet (which is fatter) engages the rifling.

The hollow-base slug has a cavity on the rear - chamber pressure causes the rear of the bullet to expand outward, so the rear of the bullet engages the rifling.

I wouldn't say that one is better than the other.... the hollow-base design might require a little more engineering, to make sure the cavity will cause the bullet's rear end to expand properly for a given amount of chamber pressure.

It occurred to me that you could probably make heeled bullets for your Belgian revolver by drilling a 19/64 bit into the top of a LEE 319-RB mould.....

Fuzzy

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:PM »

thank you for that information.
i wasnt sure on the heeled bullet.
i reckon one came b4 the other...
i got it now...
reckon on a snubb,y it wouldnt make a differance in either bullet design,
just that it fills the barrel tight for energy and velocity.
Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

Known as a "Grey Rider" & "Horned Owl"

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:29:PM »

A very good job and well thought out bullet Mold Ofitg...

"American by Birth","CSA by Choice"As an Akwesasne,St.Regis Falls My Totem is Owl,Grizzly Bear,Hawk,Mistletoe,Deer owls see things that are not put before them and can see clear into the soul of a human being. No one can really lie to an owl, they see all truths.
Tom-ADC

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:30:PM »

22 rim fires are a good example of heelbased bullets.

US Navy Retired, Lifetime NRA,
Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 08:36:PM »

Exactly Tom ... the best referance for explaining a heeled bullet cartridge ... I have to check my .41RF Rem Derringer Carts I think tey are heeled ... can't remember hell it's been a week already almost since we shot it  laugh

"American by Birth","CSA by Choice"As an Akwesasne,St.Regis Falls My Totem is Owl,Grizzly Bear,Hawk,Mistletoe,Deer owls see things that are not put before them and can see clear into the soul of a human being. No one can really lie to an owl, they see all truths.
oldelm

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 08:38:PM »

Ofitg....very clever. I like that "heeled round ball" creation!  Will be curious the hear how it shoots.

I enjoy shooting 44 roundball cartridge loads in 44WCF cases with my 1875 Rems. Accurate, fun target loads.

Fuzzy,....Like Tom says, the 22 rimfire is a classic heel base bullet. Here's pics of an original 44 Remington heeled base cartridge.......no headstamp.

Fuzzy

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:55:AM »

My old Rem 44 conversion and Rem44 cartridges bought from River Junction Trade
Blue Tick

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 07:15:AM »

Nice nto see the illustrious Oldelm back at the helm. You know...the Hombre with the famous Kenny Howell Remington conversion and multiple bee hives and maker and shooter of the Big Lube Bullets. Salute!
OFITG.......what are you going to shoot that heeled ball out of ? Cartridge  conversion 38? Cap&baller revolver?
How does the heeled base diameter compare to the inside of a 38 case?
Are you going to make a pair of pliars into a crimper tool to crimp the heeled ball into a case?
Is the groove diameter of  your barrel a good fit fer the 380 ball diameter like, say, .002 in. smaller than the balls diameter?
Is the chamber throat diameter of the guns cylinder chambers such that once the heeled ball passes thru it will be one uniform diameter from front to bacK? You know.....like it will swag from a heeled ball into a uniform diameter bullet with a round nose?
Would it be more like the heel of the bullet would still be smaller diameter than the barrel grooves once it passes thru the chamber throat and ride the lands with about several .001's slack?
Can you see what I'm getting at?
Put it simple......is the bullet going to go thru the bore with the front into the grooves and the heel sized smaller than the grooves and the lands?
What about the prospect of putting a hollow in the heel and letting the heel bump up the groove diameter?
Let the bullet be able to tilt in the barrel and go down range wagging it's tail(heel) messing with the accuracy?
You know.....like leave the mould alone on the top but turn it into a nose pour mould by milling some off the bottom of the mould and than drilling a hole for a post to insert when each bullet is poured so it makes a hollow in the heel that is at the bottom of the moud.
Like how Lyman makes a hollow point with the post stuck in the bottom of the mould but.....make your post be stuck into the base of the bullet that is at the bottom of the cavity? Still have a round ball nose but end up being able to make the heel with a hollow in the base.
There should be enough at the bottom of the mould to be able to mill to a point the bullet inside is the right length and has the heel able to be hollowed with a post stuck in the bottom of the base.
The mould drilled from the bottom after it's milled off at the bottom and then add the bottom back with plates screwed back on the bottom. Then drill a hole in the center with the mould closed to make the channel fer the post that sticks in the bottom when a bullet is poured so it ends up a heeled hollow base.
Whatta ya thunk bout that? Wink
Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 10:34:AM »

Ya hurt my head with them numbers and thins' ... one a them mornins my head ain't quite figgered out where my brain is jus' yet Cheesy Too much fresh air yesturday my Brain is still with SB at the Devil's Punchbowl ...  closed
I'm understandin' what yur sayin' but aren't regular heeled boolits solid base like that .22s and the .44 that Old Dragoon showed? Wouldn't leave too much meat on the .38 short colt shirt if it were hollar based & heeled I got some .38 S&W and .38 Colt-Rems  ... they is little boolits... huh

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: