SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2017, 02:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin_Gun & Soul Beauty sayin' Hi ...
19348 Posts in 1671 Topics by 122 Members
Latest Member: Navy Six 2
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Rifles
| |-+  Smoothbores
| | |-+  cannon question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: cannon question  (Read 11088 times)
Dave

« on: December 20, 2014, 04:42:06 AM »

In my town, in a cemetery, there is a Civil War Memorial dedicated in 1874.  Four soldiers are buried around the base of the monument.  At some later point, four cast iron cannons were added around the base of the monument (date unknown, probably an anniversary of the CW).  The cannons are now being refurbished - cleaned and painted.  We're trying to determine when the cannons were placed there and how old they might be.
They fire a 6 lb ball.  What bothers me is the fact that on each cannon's top, running the full length from muzzle to breech, is a seam of some kind.  I think it's a casting seam, which might mean that the cannons are replicas or reproductions.  When I pointed it out, suggesting that a seam would be a weak spot, someone else told me that it actually would be a stronger part of the cannon, depending on how they might have welded the two pieces together.
From what I've read, cannons were not welded together in two parts, but poured in one piece in a mold.
Any ideas?  I think they might be repros.
Dave

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 05:14:53 AM »

Or...maybe the seam is from a two part mold, like a roundball mold. Hmmm...
Baron Von Kesselwalker
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »

these  guys  might   know  ........   http://www.howitzers.com/
Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

Known as a "Grey Rider" & "Horned Owl"

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »

Or...maybe the seam is from a two part mold, like a roundball mold. Hmmm...

The ones back home were seamless, but tapered down to the muzzle end but had a breech ... big ass sukers they are... still tryin' ta find back east pics...maybe are in cannon section here ... hadn't checked.

"American by Birth","CSA by Choice"As an Akwesasne,St.Regis Falls My Totem is Owl,Grizzly Bear,Hawk,Mistletoe,Deer owls see things that are not put before them and can see clear into the soul of a human being. No one can really lie to an owl, they see all truths.
Dave

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »

I sent some pics to a cannon expert in TN and am waiting for his response.  I'm on the fence with these - there are no markings at all, anywhere on the cannons - no US markings, bore size, maker's mark, etc.  I found a newspaper article from 1874 describing the monument and dedication ceremony and there were no cannons there originally.  In the barrel of one cannon that had been filled with cement was a crumpled up newspaper from 1957.  So, sometime between 1874 and 1957 the cannons were placed there.
Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 01:39:57 AM »

I'm a guessing they ain't be the real deal ... w/o markings at all... still lookin' in here for my Mom's funeral time pics of me and Jes sittin' on cannons with the info plates ...

"American by Birth","CSA by Choice"As an Akwesasne,St.Regis Falls My Totem is Owl,Grizzly Bear,Hawk,Mistletoe,Deer owls see things that are not put before them and can see clear into the soul of a human being. No one can really lie to an owl, they see all truths.
Dave

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 05:48:08 PM »

One of the guys on the current monument committee found some info that said back in 1874 the local GAR asked the Commonwealth of MA for four surplus cannons to be used at the monument.  They weren't placed in 1874 but it looks like they got some surplus or condemned cannons at some point that might have been stripped of all government markings.  Makes sense if they can only find out when and if they got the cannons.
Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »

Cheesy Sounds close enough for me and Gov't work ... I say YE they are the real deal ... ....  1874 Cannons  yes horsey hey no bull

Dave

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »

I don't know why I didn't put this in the cannon section .
Here they are, stripped and ready to be painted, which I guess is a good thing.
Swamp Yankee
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »

Sure would be great to find out the history.
Theres always suspense in trying to learn the past.

Hope you can identify them. Please keep us posted.

Teletubbies cannon. 50 cal
Dave

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »

I sent the pics to a cannon expert in TN and this is what he sent back (it's tough to ID something from a pic):

Sorry I cannot provide any solid ID.   From the one photo they look rather American ca, 1800-1815.  I can only see one knob and it is not drilled for a .5 inch hole indicting it was not mounted on a late era Gribeauval field carriage circa 1830 as found on most all the P1834 iron sixes and some 1790's howitzers which were retro fitted to late pattern carriages.  If any of them have holes drilled through the knob then they were once fitted to late era field carriages and are more certainly American.  Europeans did not do that, correctly estimating that is a weak point  for breaking off a knob during heavy shooting. 

Good Luck!
Ken
Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »

Pretty good reply though Dave... hell I'm happy knowing that much ... they are much earlier than I expected to see ... I'd say that's a good thing ... can I have one? will pay shipping and send ya two original Colts lol3 CSA

Dave

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 07:15:52 AM »

I'll bring one out to you.  I need a vacation.
Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 10:55:37 PM »

K... Dave will stock up on BP....m
Merry Christmas

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: