Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
combustible cartridges

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2019, 09:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin_Gun & Soul Beauty sayin' Hi ...
12090 Posts in 1368 Topics by 123 Members
Latest Member: Popgun
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Revolvers/Pistols
| |-+  Cleaning & Loading
| | |-+  combustible cartridges
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: combustible cartridges  (Read 25834 times)
Navy Six

Only Blackpowder Is Interesting

« on: April 29, 2015, 11:54:51 AM »

Have been toying with combustible paper cartridges for cap&ball guns for awhile with moderate success. Most of the time I've used cigarette paper, untreated, containing only the powder charge, about 18 gr. FFF Goex in 36 cal 51/61 Uberti Navies. Ignition has been virtually 100% Biggest drawback has been the ash deposit left in the cylinder. Seeking to resolve that problem, I tried this experiment today:
 Two types of cartridges were made up. The first was the above mentioned cigarette paper containing 18 gr FFF Goex. However, after a suitable number were made, I then dipped them in melted beeswax.The second type contained the same powder charge, but instead of cigarette paper, I used common wax paper. The remainder of the load for both consisted of a wool wad soaked in Gatofeo #1 lube topped with a 375 round ball.
Twenty four rounds each were fired through two different Uberti Navies. Ignition was 100% The amount of residue left in the cylinder was much less than the untreated cigarette paper, but it was firmer, looking like a bit of paper/wax "mush".
By the way, I don't want to take credit for this as both ideas were screened from other peoples suggestions. I just thought some might be interested in the outcome. Was it worth the effort? Only if I was going to be carrying around the combustible cartridges as they were much more durable than just paper alone. For a day at the range or cowboy match, I'll stick with a flask.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:01:44 PM by Navy Six » Logged
Festus

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 04:59:57 AM »

I also tried making cartridges out of cigarette papers and had the same "ash" in the chambers. I glued a round ball to the end after I poured in the powder.
It was "neat looking" to load like that but after a hundred or so went back to the flask.

God, Flag, & Country
twin colt

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »

Try these worked good for the colts  CSA scooter
Festus

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 04:31:32 AM »

I can't see what they are.

God, Flag, & Country
decrepit

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »

My may not be the easiest but it works for me.  Went to the beauty skip, got a roll of curler papers.  They don't use them much anymore..  soaked them in nitrate, let then paper dry.  it is now easier to work with.. cut to the size you need .  I then roll tube on a dowel the size of the  ball. let the glue dry, pull the dowel back and seat the bullet with glue on it.  you can also pull the dowel back after you let the paper dry and add your powder.  I let the paper dry on the ball, remove the dowel then put in a measure of powder.  Tuck in edges apply clue to hold.  punch in a few holes and load in the cylinder.  Practice will make it easier and faster.  The nitrated paper will leave less ash.
twin colt

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »

It's a picture of Sally's jumbo end wraps for permin longer and more abundant hair than I have now a days.got 1000 of them for $ 8.00 CSA scooter
Navy Six

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 12:27:07 PM »

Amazing the ideas people come up with. One of the things I like best about the blackpowder hobby in general is the amount of experimenting that can go on. Especially using common household items. I still reload cartridges(with blackpowder of course) for CAS matches, but I had gotten things worked out to a point I was getting a bit complacement. Working with the various cap & ball guns again (my second go-round with them) has forced me to re-think things and try different approaches. A great thing as I just retired and have plenty of time to try these things without the distraction of "work".  This sure is a lot of fun horsey!!!
twin colt

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »

It's just beginning.i started with one gun but now I have a few more CSA Cheesy scooter
decrepit

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »

And when you have enough, you will always need one more.
Festus

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 03:49:41 AM »

And when you have enough, you will always need one more.

That is what happened to me until I had 74.
The folks on voy bought most of them when I had to move to town...

God, Flag, & Country
Navy Six

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »

Wow, Festus!! I thought I was bad! Its kind of funny how the cap&ball bug bites--seems like you can't get enough panic. I hope you didn't sell off too many, though. You get down to about 20 guns and you are practically unarmed!! winking
Festus

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 07:46:16 AM »

Wow, Festus!! I thought I was bad! Its kind of funny how the cap&ball bug bites--seems like you can't get enough panic. I hope you didn't sell off too many, though. You get down to about 20 guns and you are practically unarmed!! winking

I moved into a tiny, tiny apartment because I could no longer take care of mine and my wife's place. ( We did keep 10 acres of woods)
I had to sell all blackpowder and modern arms......

God, Flag, & Country
Navy Six

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 11:12:17 AM »

Uberti Sisters, even though a Colt( 51 Navy) would be my sentimental pick, I have a hard time arguing against your choice of a Rogers & Spencer revolver! I have three right now and absolutely love them--trouble free and very accurate. Never understood why they were not more popular.
 As for the rifle, not sure  huh if the choice can include cartridge guns or not. Almost embarrassed  Embarrassedto say I've never shot a Sharps. My most used blackpowder rifles are Uberti 66 Winchesters--so will have to go with that.
Fingers McGee

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 07:38:34 PM »

Quote from: Navy Six
Never understood why they were not more popular.

Lousy timing.  They never got issued or used.  They came out too late to be used during the War and ended up in storage till the turn of the century when they got sold as scrap.
Navy Six

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »

I know, Fingers, but any truth to the reports of the 800 or so that supposed to have made it out into civilian hands? If so, that should dispell some objections I hear. That same point didn't seem to deter people from buying Ruger Old Armies. Don't mean that as any form of criticism, just an observation.
Just wish the darn Rogers & Spencers were still being made.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: