SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 09:15:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The Deadwood Saloon is open for business 24 hours a day.
19354 Posts in 1672 Topics by 122 Members
Latest Member: Navy Six 2
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Revolvers/Pistols
| |-+  Cleaning & Loading
| | |-+  combustible cartridges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: combustible cartridges  (Read 13830 times)
Fingers McGee

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 07:38:34 PM »

Quote from: Navy Six
Never understood why they were not more popular.

Lousy timing.  They never got issued or used.  They came out too late to be used during the War and ended up in storage till the turn of the century when they got sold as scrap.
Swamp Yankee
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 01:13:01 AM »

xcpt for this one..

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/rogers-spencer-revolver.htm
Navy Six

Only Blackpowder Is Interesting

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »

I know, Fingers, but any truth to the reports of the 800 or so that supposed to have made it out into civilian hands? If so, that should dispell some objections I hear. That same point didn't seem to deter people from buying Ruger Old Armies. Don't mean that as any form of criticism, just an observation.
Just wish the darn Rogers & Spencers were still being made.
Baron Von Kesselwalker
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »

... got  some Sally's jumbo end wrappers   for  my golden lox ,, here is something  nice  about  them ,  cheap  for  $3.00 / 1k .... yes

did a test  with just burning  " wrap "  by itself  an there is very little residue --- almost  fLsh  paper...

will  twist  up some  next  month for  my  R O A   first ... panic
Navy Six

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 01:45:10 PM »

Well, I don't know when to quit! Tried more paper cartridges yesterday. Two different types in a Uberti 5" 51 Navy .36. One was made from teabags. Remembered the idea from an article in the SASS Chronicle(April '07). Followed those intructions. After making about 50 cartridges I ran out of teabags. Wanted to continue the experiment so I substituted common coffee filter paper. Figured you don't know till you try. After 65 rounds through the same gun, here's what I got:
1) ignition was instantaneous for every round. Couldn't tell the difference from loose powder.
2) some loose unburned paper still left in some of the chambers, but less than my previous cigarette paper cartridges
3) what paper was left, however was a pain to remove. It was packed into the very bottom of the chamber right up against the nipple. I couldn't get it
    out even with a thin screwdriver. Had to resort to firing another cap on those chambers. One was even tightly packed into the front part of the nipple
    (directly under where a cap would go). I was using Slix Shot nipples and I can't believe that much paper made in through that small flash hole.
4) so I believe I'm going to stick with a flask unless you just want to use the paper cartridges when relosding isn't planned--like maybe the last stage of the day at a Cowboy shoot.
Baron Von Kesselwalker
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 01:06:34 PM »

....Excellent  range  report .... I will load  up some of them  cartridges with the hair wraps ...
decrepit

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 07:59:22 PM »

Suggest you get in contact with Charlie at charlirstubes.com.  Charlie sells a combustable tube for C Sharps rifles.  I think I could design a slip in if charlie can come up with a size tube.  It would have a combustable end, filled with powder, a lube pill on top of the powder and a ball on top of that pushed down snug with the loading lever.  If I could see well enough Id try it.
decrepit

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 08:29:02 PM »

just looked charlie up.  hid email is  shilohrifle.com  He's a go to guy for Sharps problems.  look at his web page and get an idea of what I'm talking about
Navy Six

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »

Thanks, Decrepit, for the info and website. I will check it out in a bit. Whether or not I finally get these things to work, this is all a lot of fun experimenting! horsey Keeps me busy with things I love to do, so no complaints from me! gun5
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: