Photobucket

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 07:35:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin_Gun & Soul Beauty sayin' Hi ...
19253 Posts in 1655 Topics by 118 Members
Latest Member: gemihur
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  General Category
| |-+  For Sale or Trade
| | |-+  1861 Springfield Navy Arms/Miroku
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1861 Springfield Navy Arms/Miroku  (Read 2669 times)
CGN1771

« on: August 10, 2015, 10:52:41 PM »

Time to get some action in this section, I'm selling my Navy Arms 1861 Springfield 58 caliber musket. I'll take $650 shipped with delivery confirmation, tracking and insurance and the shipping part is the 50 bucks for this thing with insurance. Also included is a Confederate canvas sling, a yankee leather sling and 25 Minnie balls.

A little history on the Navy Arms Springfield. Val Forgett Jr., founder of Navy Arms was the man that started a lot of the modern reproductions that are being made today, He started having these muskets produced in the 1980s by Miroku of Japan, now days they make shotguns for Browning and Rifles for Winchester and their own line of high quality, high price shotguns.
 The first batch of these made had a 2 piece stock with the split being hid under the rear barrel band, people didn't like that so he had them switch to a 1 piece stock like the originals. The Miroku Springfields were made up into the 90s and are sought after by authentic reenactors and NSSA shooters.

The Mirokus are very much closer in design to originals than Italian made repros, Val shipped American walnut over to have the stocks made from. That makes the weight almost identical to originals unlike the Italian jobs that use European walnut, A more dense wood which makes it heavier, over a pound more than originals. An original 1861 lock will fit right in the Miroku with only a slight 1/16" gap at the top between lock and stock. The Mirokus also don't have all the proof marks and other markings of the Italian jobs stamped all over the barrel. These were sold in the 80s and 90s under the Navy Arms and Dixie Gun Works name.
 The leading supplier and defarber today is Lodgewood Manufacturing and they always have a wanted ad up for these guns and can't keep the 1861 on their forsale page long.

This one is a later 80s model with one piece stock and still works great, I used it last year at some of the 150th events that took place here in Georgia and Alabama and as always never had a problem, it's very clean and rust free and has always been properly maintained and cleaned. It has the usual small dings on the stock here and there from being carried and used but no issues other than that.
I would consider some sort of trade on a Uberti revolver with the original BP cylinder and R&D cartridge conversion cylinder if interested. I'll take postal money orders for anyone interested in buying.

Now for some pics..

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:55:08 PM by CGN1771 » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: