Photobucket

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 01:20:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin Gun Rules!!!
19252 Posts in 1655 Topics by 118 Members
Latest Member: gemihur
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Period Clothing, Gear, Food, ect
| | |-+  Backwoodsman magazine recipes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Backwoodsman magazine recipes  (Read 4614 times)
CGN1771

« on: August 13, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »

Anybody ever read Backwoodsman magazine?  I pick up a new issue about every time it comes out, lots of great articles. They always have some recipes in there also, some are whole articles and some are just a small piece on the edge of a page sent in by a reader. I tried quite a few, some good, some bad.
 Last issue a reader sent one in that's ground sausage, canned diced tomatoes, rice, chopped onion and brown mustard with salt and pepper as needed. I've made it 4 times already I guess and love it, had it for supper tonight.
  I've always been big on sausage, smoked, ground or links. Even with the bacon craze that's been going on the last several years I'll take sausage any time.   lol3
Festus

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:03:59 AM »

I haven't read Backwoodsman in years. I really enjoyed it though when I did.
I also will take sausage over bacon.
My brother-in-law owns a small family meat store. He cuts all the meat, smokes, grills, BBQ's, grinds, stuffs all different link kinds. If someone wants something different, Ron will make it for them.
Any time he is making something different, he calls me and we (wifie & I) go out there and try it. It is cooked and ready to eat when we get there.
Since he started selling meat cooked, wifie has not cooked meat and that has been over 4 years.
Wifie will not take any family discount either, full retail price or we don't get it.
Some times Ron will sneak me something special out to the car when we go out to talk and wifie raises cane over it.
When I am eating a big T-Bone off his hot line, sometimes I think I married the wrong person from that family ( laugh).

God, Flag, & Country
CGN1771

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:59:01 AM »

There is a small locally owned meat market like that a couple towns over from me, he buys cows, pigs and chickens from smaller growers in the area and his stuff is great. He also processes deer and other things for hunters. I sure wish he was closer to me. Sounds like your brother-in-law has a great setup and good benefits for you and the wife.

Muzzleloader season for deer starts in 2 months here and I plan on taking my Hawken to get me one and have it part ground and part made into sausage.
Baron Von Kesselwalker
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:43 AM »

i am  going to try hat recipe  over the weekend ...... yes
CGN1771

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »

I sure do like it Baron, I think anyone who likes sausage will enjoy it.
The actual recipe reads like this..

Brown 1 pound of bulk sausage in skillet with 1 medium sized onion chopped fine.
pour off the fat and add 1 cup of cooked rice and 1 can of tomatoes.
Season with salt and pepper and prepared mustard.
cook slowly about 30 minutes.

I use a small onion since a medium seemed a bit much and for tomatoes I use a can of petite diced, for the mustard I been using what ever type of brown mustard I have on hand and been adding a little ketchup also.
 Hope you like it.  lol3
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: