Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Western heroes

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2019, 02:46:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Mojave Desert Marksmen Rondy was a good time, resting up and practicing for next year
12090 Posts in 1368 Topics by 123 Members
Latest Member: Popgun
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  General Category
| |-+  The Wild Wild West
| | |-+  Western heroes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Western heroes  (Read 2717 times)
Dave

« on: April 03, 2011, 04:03:08 AM »

Hickok, Cody, Earp...today they're referred to as "Western heroes."  Now go back to, say, 1890.  In 1890, if Hickok were alive, would an ex-Confederate soldier have shaken Hickok's hand or taken a shot at him?  I know he was a hero in the North but what about the South?  And has that changed today?   Remember, Hickok fought (and spied) for the North.
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »

If it were me as an ex Confederate Soldier and run into Wild Bill I believe I'd a introduced myself, offered a handshake, bought him a bottle and played cards with him. By then he was a Lawdog and outlaw. His gunslingin' reputation preceded him and he was a true American hero.
That's jus' my Honest opinion.
Good topic Dave. CSA
 cowboy
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:05:08 PM by Smokin_Gun » Logged
StrawHat

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:23:42 AM »

Hickock became widely known after his tour with Buffalo Bills Wild West and Congress of Rough Riders.  After he left the show he gradually faded from nationwide acclaim and also gradually lost his eyesight. 

Many of the "heroes" were not known well outside of there local area except by others in the same line of work.  Word of mouth did not move quickly, nor accurately.  The closest thing to instant communication was the telegraph and that was costly.

Knowledge should be shared, not hoarded.

Knowledge I take to my grave, is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges designed before my Father was born!
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:07:49 PM »

StrawHat ... with the internet you'd think Hombres like us three would be more well known  3 drinking HeeHee shootin
StrawHat

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:03:55 AM »

StrawHat ... with the internet you'd think Hombres like us three would be more well known  3 drinking HeeHee shootin

Who's to say you're not?

Knowledge should be shared, not hoarded.

Knowledge I take to my grave, is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges designed before my Father was born!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: