Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Show off yur Patrol Guns

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2019, 09:13:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin Gun Rules!!!
12090 Posts in 1368 Topics by 123 Members
Latest Member: Popgun
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Indian Wars Post Civil War
| | |-+  Show off yur Patrol Guns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Show off yur Patrol Guns  (Read 17033 times)
chuckr1952

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »

You have some nice guns men, I cant compete on this one.
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »

Dang Fuzzy that Metro Police is lookin' good... yes dance cowboy
StrawHat

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »

If the era were a bit earlier, say late Civil War, I'd go with this outfit.

Knowledge should be shared, not hoarded.

Knowledge I take to my grave, is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges designed before my Father was born!
Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

Known as a "Grey Rider" & "Horned Owl"

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »

A pretty good choice Strawhat ...

"American by Birth","CSA by Choice"As an Akwesasne,St.Regis Falls My Totem is Owl,Grizzly Bear,Hawk,Mistletoe,Deer owls see things that are not put before them and can see clear into the soul of a human being. No one can really lie to an owl, they see all truths.
StrawHat

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 06:18:35 PM »

Thank you.  The Burnside just came back to me.  My brother gave it to me this motnh and I remember using it many years ago for re-enacting and target work.  I intend to work up a load using a round ball, probably .565, and a concial 360 which I believe is the original weight.  Not sure what powder sbharge but if I remember, the brass can hold 60 or 65 grains.  The little carbine only weighs 7 pounds so it is a delight to tote.  Looking forward to hunting with it, maybe this fall.

Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:12 PM »

That'll be light to carry, fun to shoot, and carry a whallop ...

"American by Birth","CSA by Choice"As an Akwesasne,St.Regis Falls My Totem is Owl,Grizzly Bear,Hawk,Mistletoe,Deer owls see things that are not put before them and can see clear into the soul of a human being. No one can really lie to an owl, they see all truths.
StrawHat

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 04:10:39 AM »

(Here is the photo that disappeared.)

Smokin_Gun
"I Smoke Black Powder"
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 11:43:05 PM »

Good to see the Burnside again ... and the 1860 Colt...

StrawHat

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 04:08:32 AM »

OK, I messed up the pistol. Ifn you notice, I installed the Colt style front sight on backwards. A note from someone on GB noticed it and mentioned it to me.

I also love that Burnside, always thougt that was a real neat piece. Wonder if it got its name from Gen. Burnside..?

Yes, it was originally designed by Burnside, as an improvemnet on the Hall rifle and carbine.  The Hall lacked a way to seal the breech to the barrel.  Burnside's solution was a cone shaped cartridge that sealed the chamber/barrel gap.  It works quite well.  Burnside left the military to futher develop his rifle and company but failed at both, eventually losing control of the company and his patents.  When the Cival War broke out, he re-upped and the Burnside rifle became the second most used carbine in the War, behind the Sharps.  In actual use, it is a fiarly easy firearm to shoot and reload.  Unfortunately, it was not readily converted to using cartridge not sparked by a percussion cap and fell into disfavor after the emergence of rimfire and centerfire firearms. 

Wild Wilkie

Long Time Cowboy Wild Wilkie

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 09:32:06 AM »

General Burnside was put in charge of the Army of the Potomac,  and was responsible for the  Battle of Fedreicksburg, in Nov, 1852.  That was a massacre of union troops.  In Dec 1862 he ordered and end run around Lee's army that turned into the "Mud March"  that literally bogged down in muddy roads due to heavy rains.  This story was told that a soldier picked up a hat to find that there was a man's head under it sticking out of the mud.  After expressing his surprise that the head was alive, the head told him that the real surprise was that there were four mules and a wagon under him!!!  Burnside, who never wanted the top job anyway, resigned in disgrace.  He was considered a handsome man with whiskers growing down his cheeks, a feature to be known to this day as "sideburns".

Wilkie
StrawHat

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2014, 04:04:42 AM »

Not sure if this thread is still on anyone's mind but if I lived a bit past the era mentioned, I might have carried this pair.

The 30 US and the 38 Special would be a good pairing.

Dave

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »

My Springfield 50-70 and a muzzle loader in case those new fangled boolits didn't go bang.
Like StrawHat said, a few years late and I got a Krag 30-40 and a .38 Official Police (I sold the mammoth ivory grips).

StrawHat

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 04:03:04 AM »

...All you need now, is a good scattergun with'em...

While I have more than a few shotguns, I do not find them suitable for patrol or scout duty.  I see that role as more of a far away information gathering role.  Shotguns are more upclose devices and there I prefer a handgun.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: