Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Indian Wars

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2019, 08:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The Deadwood Saloon is open for business 24 hours a day.
12090 Posts in 1368 Topics by 123 Members
Latest Member: Popgun
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Indian Wars Post Civil War
| | |-+  The Indian Wars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Indian Wars  (Read 3446 times)
Smokin_Gun
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »

Here's a link to some reading material Ont The Induan Wars of California...
http://www.militarymuseum.org/HistoryIW.html
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »

Here's one of the main stay rifles that were used in this period. 1873 Springfield Trapdoor .45-70cal. even at 10-20 rounds per minute they were no competition to what Henry's and lever action repeaters that the Indians which out numbered the 7th Cav anyway used. Col. Custer made his last Big headed mistake at Little Big Horn.
But thet are still a real fine weapon and the Trapdoor just tickles my innards to own an original dated 1884 model 1873 T.D.

StrawHat

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 03:33:34 AM »

Custer's foe was also armed with single shot muskets, bows and clubs.  Far fewer of the Indians carried repeaters than Hollywood would have you believe.  I doubt if given the training supplied to the Troopers of the day that even if they had been equipt with Henrys or Winchesters, the outcome would have been much different.  Just too many Indians. 

The 45-70 was developed to shoot flatter than the 50-70 and still shoot through a horse at 100 yards.  The 44 Henry could only dream of such ballistics!  The Henry led to wonderful developments but was still the weak sister to most single shot.

Knowledge should be shared, not hoarded.

Knowledge I take to my grave, is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges designed before my Father was born!
StrawHat

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:27:52 AM »

Two other thoughts on the Indian Wars. 

First, the Indian was defeated from the first moment he accepted something he could not make for himself.  Be it a firearm, whiskey, cooking pot or a blanket once he began to depend on a supply source over which he had no control, he was doomed.

Second, when an Indian Brave died, it might takes years to replace him as the pool was limited to what the young male population was at the time.  When a trooper was killed, a new trooper could be on the train in hours as the cities were full of immigrants looking for work.

Knowledge should be shared, not hoarded.

Knowledge I take to my grave, is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges designed before my Father was born!
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:02:24 AM »

This is true .... The American Indian did well in the F&I War, but from the war of 1812 thur the Indian War you could see some were stronger that oners and were the fierces fighiters to the end.... they were extirninated then herded into no societ and replaced slavery with land theft and killig fields..now that's from a Native Americans point and histoy...an atrosity not to be forgotten.
The Federal side was doing it's job to progrees as ordred and the Progess had to move on ward and upword .. this was the way Civilization was formed there nore brutal circumstances, way before this.
anyway that was my  soapbox fore today :
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: