Photobucket

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2017, 03:35:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin_Gun & Soul Beauty sayin' Hi ...
19177 Posts in 1647 Topics by 118 Members
Latest Member: gemihur
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Revolvers/Pistols
| |-+  All Other Mfg. Revs
| | |-+  Blunt and Syms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blunt and Syms  (Read 2136 times)
Dave

« on: January 27, 2016, 08:26:13 PM »

I bought a Blunt and Syms single shot, double action, bar hammer pistol for under $100 in Maine.  I haven't measured the bore but it's about .31 caliber.  The barrel unscrews for loading.  It's a little gun - it hides perfectly in my hand.   I'll get some pics after I'm done cleaning it.  It's definitely a shooter.
Here's one for sale but it's .36 caliber (and a lot more money).  But it looks the same.
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13719255/

From what I read, Blunt and Syms made Patersons and Walkers for Colt.  I gotta research that info a little more.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:27:44 PM by Dave » Logged
StrawHat

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »

I believe the only contractor used by Colt was Eli Whitney.  Be interesting to see the info on B&S!

Kevin

Knowledge should be shared, not hoarded.

Knowledge I take to my grave, is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges designed before my Father was born!
Dave

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:15:50 AM »

I'd heard of Blunt and Syms before but never as makers of Walkers or Patersons.  Then I found this:
http://www.american-firearms.com/american-firearms/z-html/company-B/Blunt%20&%20Syms/Blunt%20&%20Syms.html
I read it somewhere else, too, but that could just be Internet story passing - someone says it and it gets passed on.
Me haveth my doubts but who knows?
Navy Six

Only Blackpowder Is Interesting

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »

Article in the Spring 2013 issue of GUNS OF THE OLD WEST by Dennis Adler about Blunt & Syms. Seems like Sam Colt went to them with with his and Capt. Walkers ideas for the new gun. They built a protype in 1846 that led to the Walker, but that gun hardly resembled the Walker except for the large cylinder. Seems like Blunt & Syms were capable of making a fine product but not in the large quantities needed by Colt. Believe it or not, gunmaker Gary Rummell of R&A Historic Reproductions is reproducing the protype.
Navy Six

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »

Sorry for the misspelling above. Was trying to type the word prototype--don't know what happened--but I guess this is a den for Old Coots!
Festus

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 02:48:04 AM »

Sorry for the misspelling above. Was trying to type the word prototype--don't know what happened--but I guess this is a den for Old Coots!

I didn't know what this post was for.
Had to go back and reread the other one.
I had read it as "prototype". You make a mistake writing it and I will make a mistake reading it.

Oh well, we don't have "spelling police" on this forum.

God, Flag, & Country
Navy Six

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 01:55:52 PM »

Sorry, Festus. As a retired school teacher, I'm still in the bad habit of proof reading stuff. I looked for an edit button but don't see one.
decrepit

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:51:23 PM »

Im impresses by the fact we don't have spelling police.  Id be in trouble  I have a lot of respect for those who spell gooder and speak weller
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: