Photobucket

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 07:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin Gun Rules!!!
19253 Posts in 1655 Topics by 118 Members
Latest Member: gemihur
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Shotguns & other hand held weapons
| |-+  All Shotguns/Smoothbores
| | |-+  attic find
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: attic find  (Read 613 times)
Dave

« on: February 02, 2016, 08:31:50 PM »

A friend of mine found an old double barrel muzzle loading caplock shotgun hidden in the eaves in his attic.  The house was built around 1860 - I'd say the shotgun was made in the 1850s.  It's missing one hammer, the nipples are busted, the rib holding the barrels together is gone, the wood is all cracked and split, metal is rusty, but it's a great wall hanger.   I can't see any lettering and I don't want to destroy the patina looking for a maker's name.  I dropped a long dowel down each barrel and sure enough one is loaded.  I took it home and tomorrow I'll soak the loaded barrel and empty it out.  Gotta love these old timers.               
Wild Wilkie

Long Time Cowboy Wild Wilkie

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:36:37 AM »

Be sure to post a photo.  Most of us would like to see it.
Wilkie
Festus

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 02:48:16 AM »

I would too.

God, Flag, & Country
Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 05:14:49 AM »

It's British, with Birmingham proof marks and inspector's marks used between 1813 - 1855. There's even the inspector's initials.  Someone made a true wall hanger out of it long ago - the two barrels were epoxied together.
I soaked the loaded barrel and plan on removing its contents.  I'll use epoxy or JB Weld to put the barrels back together, maybe make some kind of decorative rib between them.  I'll look around for a replacement hammer (it's missing one).
The owner isn't really interested in it or its history but I am.  I have a diary from the 1870s that belonged to a local Civil War veteran, and in it he talks about hunting in the woods around town with his caplock shotgun.  He might have hunted with the original owner of this shotgun.  Anyways, they most likely knew each other.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: