Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Colt Penny Sight

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2019, 12:59:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin Gun Rules!!!
12090 Posts in 1368 Topics by 123 Members
Latest Member: Popgun
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Revolvers/Pistols
| |-+  YE OLD GUN SHOP
| | |-+  Colt Penny Sight
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Colt Penny Sight  (Read 5204 times)
Smokin_Gun
« on: February 03, 2011, 07:51:53 PM »

Thought I'd make a prototype replacement sight for the one that fell off my Colt .41CF Thunderer. I used a pair a pliers, and band cutter, a Dremel , and soldering iron with silver solder. I cut a dovetail base from a Penny to slide into the barrel's dovetail slot and the larger top of the same penny for the sight blade ... it came out pretty good, and stayed on. I barrel sanded the copper off so jus' the zinc was showin'. Hell I ain't sellin' it anyway so I'll leave it till I make a better one.
Have a look see ... I think I'll leave it... dance
 CSA cigar
Just another day in the Desert...  desert desert 1

Is it Straight enough?
 dance Wink boom drink
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:14:30 PM by Smokin_Gun » Logged
Smokey
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:35 AM »

If it works, it works,  That sure is a fancy shooter there, SG.  Wink
S4B
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:02 AM »

Looks good to me.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »

Thanks to both a ya... I'd planned on just shootin' it to be sure it all worked ... then it's be a carry or antique home defence gun. Now I'll have to take it out to zero the sight. So I'll just get the bullets this time from Gad's Reloading...maybe another $50 box a 50ea too... dance yes
I really didn't buy it as a shooter or to shoot much but I need to get the sights right at least ... then probly find the original one in my trunk afterwords...  laugh
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:52:30 PM by Smokin_Gun » Logged
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »

I just finnished silver soldering a dime blade sight onto a penny dovetail base for my 1877 Colt .41 CF Thunderer...
pics to follow soon.
Not a bad price 11cents ;O)
 dance
Smokey
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »

Looks sharp, SG. That is purdy work.  yes
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »

Thanks BJ ... I had to do it off the barrel and along with the dovetail that was apparently made thru the originasl blade site it was difficult to locate let alone solder it with a small pair of needlenose pliers. Only burnt and blistered one finger ... Yup put a bluster on the side of my trigger finger.
I may have to make a steel one as after I staked the base with a center punch. and pulled it out of my waistbelt a few tine i found the silver solder had fractured and was very pliable with the small amount of surface between the blade and rthe base.
I hav an old German Silver rifle sight around somewhere ...if I find it I may jus' fit that to it  dance
Smokey
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »

Thanks BJ ...

Been drinking, SG?  big drink BJ don't have a skull and revs avatar.  gaah
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:50:41 PM »

Damn busted away from the Deadwood Saloon... Wink Maybe a wee bit Smokey sorry about that...but I'll blame it on the my meds ... I'll leave it so it's self explainitory...  dance Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:57:01 PM by Smokin_Gun » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: