Photobucket

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2017, 05:52:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The Deadwood Saloon is open for business 24 hours a day.
19309 Posts in 1661 Topics by 117 Members
Latest Member: gemihur
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Rifles
| |-+  All Rifles (Moderator: Dave)
| | |-+  Anyone still shooting?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Anyone still shooting?  (Read 437 times)
Dave

« on: April 19, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »

I loaded up a bunch of .41 Swiss rounds (black powder) and had some fun with the 1881 Vetterli last week.  This rifle had been rimfire but I converted it to centerfire and made the cases out of 348 Winchester brass.  Great gun.  Black powder is still cool - a real crowd pleaser.  Well, not a real crowd - there were only two other shooters at the range, and one of them liked the Vetterli.

I recently picked up an 1891 Argentine Mauser in 7.65x53 for real cheap money.  The wood is great, and every part has matching numbers, including the cleaning rod.  But the bore looked like a sewer pipe.  I brought it home and really worked on the bore and got it clean, but it was still frosted (nice sharp rifling).  I made cases out of 30-06 cases, loaded up some .311" jacketed bullets and fired away.  Amazingly, the frosting in the rear half of the bore got scrubbed away.

I had to get some shooting in 'cause I had hernia surgery on Tuesday.  This sucks.
Dave

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:18:34 AM »

Well, if no one posts, about shooting or anything, this isn't much of a memorial forum...
Festus

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:37:14 AM »

We have 10 acres of woods left out in the sticks.
Whenever we go out there for an afternoon, I take a 22 and bounce a plastic bottle around.
Just because we don't get to shoot Black anymore don't mean that we don't remember.

God, Flag, & Country
Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:49:54 AM »

It's not the shooting I was talking about - that's secondary.  It's about keeping a forum going which won't happen at this rate.  But that's OK, too, I guess.
Thumper

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:05:50 AM »

I got a Uberti S&W Russian for Christmas and have bewen working on the action and dialing it it in over the last few weekends. Cause she's just so pretty, I added a couple of early 1900's quarters to the grips.
Dave

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:22:50 AM »

Now that looks like a beefy gun.  Only BP, right?

I brought my Walther P38 to the range the other day, loaded it up, fired away and the slide top cover decided to go for a trip on its own.  It took the rear sight, automatic firing pin lock and spring, and the firing pin retaining pin with it.  I dragged a magnet on a string through the grass and managed to find all the parts.  These guns are known to lose their slide covers for whatever reason.  Next time, I'll tape it in place.

I've been soaking a spare Savage & North cylinder that I got to try and replace the nipples.  Looks like I'm heading back to BP.
Thumper

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »

Dave, I gotta be honest with ya. I've mostly given up shooting bp in anything. I like the period correct cartridge revolvers (or conversions) better. I use 7.7g of unique under a 230g rn lead slug and clean up is a breeze. Too old to walk the rifle  trail and too lazy to clean my gun's....ain't the "gold plated" years a bitch? LOL BTW, the Russian only has a 6.5 inch bbl and using the trigger guard spur really makes this a great gun to shoot.
Dave

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 12:49:15 PM »

Yeah, I get it.  I use BP in the Vetterli but that's about it.  I gotta say, cleaning smokeless isn't that much easier, especially when using cast bullets and the wrong lube.
Thumper

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »

What do you use to de-lead the barrel? My R&S needs the work done. I'm thinking about putting a piece of 100% copper scrunge on the end of the wire brush for more aggressive cleaning. I'm using Hoppes #9 for my liquid.
Dave

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 05:48:42 PM »

I use Chore Boy copper scouring pads.  I put some friction tape on the end of a brass rod, then wind some strands of copper from the Chore Boy pads around the tape and run it through (or just push a piece of the pad through).  Copper removes the lead.
Baron Von Kesselwalker
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 06:19:08 AM »

looks like I will try that  CHORE BOY trick ....
Thumper

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »

I think that's what I was describing when I said "scrunge" in my previous post, thanx for the reply and confirmation on technique
Navy Six

Only Blackpowder Is Interesting

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »

I know the original post is in the rifle section, but since someone already mentioned a couple of pistols--here goes. Shooting is about ALL I've been doing. Since retirement two years ago I'm trying to make up for lost time. I've been a SASS shooter all these years, all with blackpowder. I try to use as many of the old original calibers as I can. About 4 years ago the cap & ball bug bit me again. Where is all this leading? I spend every day casting (I just lucked into 800 lbs of lead), reloading (many thousands of rounds ready to go) lube and wad making or gun cleaning. The whole SASS involvement is what keeps me focused and motivated. I just shot with a gentleman on Sunday at a SASS match--it was his birthday and he was 88!! Since recovering from heart surgery, which led to my retirement, I figure God has given me a second chance and I'm not going to waste it! I'm going to do my best to WEAR OUT SOME GUNS!  guns My current focus is drawing from the holster and point shooting with either hand, all with single actions. Thats what I'll be doing tomorrow with a pair of 1860 Armies. Not doing fast draw--I know I'm not Thell Reed and I don't want any accidents-- but this type of practice is a blast! gun5  Fortunately one of the clubs I belong to is on private property--thanks NSSA guys!--that has permanent hanging steel plates so I can engage in this type of practice. So instead of slowing down I want to get in gear!! horsey Lets go burn some powder!!
Fingers McGee

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 07:47:48 PM »

I've got a new pair of SS Uberti 1851 Navies that need to berung out.  Hoping I can get a little range time in before the weekend - if the rain will just hold off.
Navy Six

Only Blackpowder Is Interesting

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »

Congrats, Fingers on the acquisition of those SS Navies! I know you have an interest in the SS models and I hope you get a chance to give them a workout before the rain hits. Good Luck! I did manage to get to the range today. I had the place to myself(its on private property as I mentioned). Weather was perfect, the birds were singing, the 1860 Uberti Armies were singing and the steel plates were dinging! Smiley How do you spend a more pleasurable day than that? As much as I love using my cartridge single actions--with blackpowder of course--there is just something about the cap & ball pistols. The slower, more relaxed pace, more attention when loading,etc makes me want to focus on each shot and not waste any. The guns are much more capable and versatile than most people give them credit for. After a couple of hours of drawing and point shooting, I decided to end the day firing at the 50 yd steel plate. Hit all 6 with the right hand then the left...hit the first 5 then blew the last shot of the day! Point being the guns were still doing their jobs after all that blackpowder being shoved down their throats. Will be back next week for more of the same, this time with the Navies. But I haven't decided yet-- the 51s or the 61s huh?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: