Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/91/8230291/html/blackpowdersmoke/oldcoots/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
My tiny collection

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2019, 01:15:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin_Gun & Soul Beauty sayin' Hi ...
12090 Posts in 1368 Topics by 123 Members
Latest Member: Popgun
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Revolvers/Pistols
| |-+  Remington Revs all models C&B (Moderator: Festus)
| | |-+  My tiny collection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My tiny collection  (Read 6223 times)
Smokey
« on: June 23, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »

I wasn't kidding about the tiny part. I be looking for more though.
Both Lyman imported Uberti 1858 Remington New Army 44s. One made in 1971 and the other in 1972.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:24:15 PM by Smokey » Logged
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »

I'd say a right top notch collection bein' Rems and all :O) Afore you know it you may be cussin' for lack of Rev Space ... heehee!
madcratebuilder

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:54:39 AM »

Those are nice, did you strip the lower revolver?

I'm wanting one of SG's Santa Barbra Remies with the engraving.  I've got two Pietta's, a shooters and target model.  One Buffalo pinto by ASM?? and a unknown nickle plated steel frame 1858, possibly FIE??
Smokey
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:04:51 AM »

Thanks, MCB,  I have a  paltry showing compared to just about everyone else on the forums, but I am proud of them.
The bottom one was stripped with vinegar. At some point years ago,, before I owned there was a hard blow to the top strap, that left a slight indentation which had an oxidation over it. I just drove me crazy, so I ended up making it more noticeable than before, so I stripped it. I found that I liked it better that way. In the current pic, it is finished with light coats of naval jelly. I am thinking of sanding and defarbing it and leaving it to turn naturally.
I almost forgot about SG's Santa's. They are the ultimate Remmies. There was one on GB, a while back. The reserve wasn't met twice, don't know if was ever relisted. The top bid was nearly $300. It had the same engravings as SG's. I wish I could have bought it, it was in excellent shape like SG's.
I am looking for my first Colt, but want a steel frame so i can shoot standard loads. Hopefully, when an affordable one comes along, my funds will be right. It doesn't really matter which model, I like them all.
jimbo453

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »

Nice Remmies I think they are the most reliable of all my revolvers  a local gun shop has a real  Rem Beals  of sale its pretty good shape I would nt be afraid to shoot it  asking $1400.I keep going back bugging him
LOL

Shoot More Worry less
 Keep the fire burnin ill be round
Smokey
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »

Thanks, Jimbo453
I have never had a Colt. I definitely think the Remmies are easier to master. I have these babies mastered, I think it would have taken me longer to master the Colt, but I am up for the challenge,  with  my Remmies  handy if i need them for defense. No matter how many Colts I accumulate, I will still prefer a 1861 Remmy, that I am certain. Another rev I want is a ROA, but I would still prefer the 1861 Remmy since the ROA doesn't have the safety notches between the nipples for the hammer to rest on while carrying.  I prefer them over the modern firearms also, without conversions; I have no intention of converting them to centerfire ammo..
I have one or both within inches of me just about all of the time. Yea, I have a bad case of Remmy fever and I ain't looking for a cure.
azyogi

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »

My ROA has deeper notches than my remmies, never had any trouble carrying 6 in her

You can have it Right or right now, not both.
Smokey
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »

My ROA has deeper notches than my remmies, never had any trouble carrying 6 in her.
Cool, my mistake. I think that an ROA would be a fine addition to my arsenal.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:47:01 PM by Smokey » Logged
Smokey
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »

ROA's are rather expensive and they are getting hard to find. Didn't they quit making them??
madcratebuilder

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 04:18:59 AM »

Both my ROA's, stainless and blue have the safety notches between chambers, just like the Remingtons.  When I look at a ROA I see a Remington frame/cylinder and barrel with a colt grip frame.

Ruger produced a few ROA's last year from spare parts and Davis released them, $$$.  Every now and then I see a blued ROA sell for 250-300, not bad on today's market.  You can find stainless ROA's with a lot of surface scratches that sell pretty cheap.  A cotton wheel on a 8inch grinder well make it look new with a little work.  That's how I got mine at a affordable price.
Smokey
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 05:26:49 AM »

I assumed the Ruger Old Army followed the tradition of 1858 Remington Old Army which if I am not mistaken did not have the cylinder safety notches. An acquaintance of mine despises the ROA because it is not historically correct, I could not care less about anything other than ruggedness and performance. Considering the illumination on my erroneous assumptions, my first choice for a third rev is definitely a ROA. I will be watching the auctions for one.
I appreciate you guys straightening me out on this one. Anytime I post or publish anything that is less than factual, please correct me.
azyogi

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 01:48:58 PM »

Grin Just found the receipt for my ROA NIB was $136.95   Tongue was 19seventysomething and Itie clones were way under a hundred.

You can have it Right or right now, not both.
Smokey
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 10:51:57 AM »

Just found the receipt for my ROA NIB was $136.95
AZYogi, anytime you want your money back out of it, let me know. Though it is probably well used by now, I am sure  scare up the funds.  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:53:41 AM by Smokey » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: