SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:18:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The Deadwood Saloon is open for business 24 hours a day.
19372 Posts in 1675 Topics by 122 Members
Latest Member: Navy Six 2
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Shotguns & other hand held weapons
| |-+  All Shotguns/Smoothbores
| | |-+  .410
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: .410  (Read 223 times)
Dave

« on: September 20, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »

Well, OK, if the forum is still alive...here's a non-BP story.
I went to The Store in Maine and on the way in, I filled out a card for a drawing.  Sure enough, ten minutes later, they called my name.  I spun the wheel and won a $35.00 gift card.
That $35 was burning a hole in my pocket.  I found an old Mossberg bolt action .410 shotgun for $95.00.  Minus gift card: $60.00.  It's in great shape.  A bolt action shotgun with a screw-in full choke, made between 1948 and 1950.  Pretty cool.  And I had a box of .410 shells already (expensive little buggers).
I brought it to the range a few days later and set up my step-on bird/clay thrower.  I gotta say, I did as well with that long barreled .410 as I do with a 20 ga.  It still has a little kick but I could shoot it all day.  I might reload at some point, if I shoot it a lot, maybe get some brass cases/shells (or whatever you call shotgun brass).
hiker53

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »

Those little 410s surprised me..on their range...took a shot at a rabbit with one at quite a long range ..knocked him down one shot..best of luck with yours....nice find..!
twin colt

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »

They are nice rabbit and squirrel stew getters CSA scooter
decrepit

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »

lol3  In my younger years I rolled many rabbits with a single shot breakdown 410   They also are good for these speedy missouri grey squirrels    Ive been known to drop a few quail with one.  Good find Dave.  Hope you have enjoyment with it.  They notified me today that Im to get an award from the state at a veterans day ceremony.  Im going to the Marine Corps ball this year.  Hope Im the oldest one there.  My friend Bobby told me he didmt know Marines had balls/
Dave

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 08:32:34 PM »

I started reloading the .410 shells by hand.  I pop the primer out with a Lee decapper or just punch it out with a rod.  I place a new primer in the flash hole, put a wooden dowel in the shell and smack the dowel.  The primer fits right in.  Drop some powder in, then a plastic wad, then the shot, then use Elmer's Glue to hold a small cardboard circle over the shot.  They work very well.
I just got the same Mossberg bolt action in 12 ga for about $60.  I brought it to the range, thinking that it'd be as fun to shoot as the .410.  I fired a box at the birds, and it was nasty.  I hit maybe 5 out of 25 and it beat the crap out of my shoulder.  Yep, it's not a trap gun, but it's probably a great hunting gun.

Congratulations on the award.  Let us know how it goes.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: