SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 11:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Mojave Desert Marksmen Rondy was a good time, resting up and practicing for next year
19372 Posts in 1675 Topics by 122 Members
Latest Member: Navy Six 2
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Rifles
| |-+  All Rifles (Moderator: Dave)
| | |-+  1893 Spanish Mauser
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1893 Spanish Mauser  (Read 43 times)
Dave

« on: December 03, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »

I saw a rife in the rack, all beat up, paint on the stock, dings and dents in the wood, small crack on the top handguard.  But it was cheap, so I got it.  It's a Berlin-made 1893 Spanish Mauser in 7x57, the one the Spaniards used to kick butt in the Spanish American War.  Under the Spanish crest on the receiver was the date 1894, so it was probably "there," fighting against the Krags (30-40).  These rifles are part of the reason the U.S. dropped the Krags.
I used 5F5 stripper on the stock and removed all the old dirt, paint, grime, etc.  A cartouche appeared on the stock - the Spanish crest and the 1894 date.  Stamped in the stock, right under the serial number on the receiver, appeared the matching serial number.  I found matching numbers everywhere, including the bolt.  I thought the cleaning rod was broken - it's only 17" long - but that's original.
I cleaned the wood all up, fixed the crack with two-part epoxy and a filler, then started applying boiled linseed oil.  I'm up to five coats.  No sanding, no dent steaming.
I completely stripped the rifle, every screw and spring - everything - and cleaned it and applied CLP to every moving part.  The bore is great - it cleaned up well.
It looks good - old, used, but authentic.  I have a Rolling Block in 7x57 so I already have the dies, brass, bullets.  I'll test fire it this week.
Cheap money, but a great project gun that turned out well.  It looks good next to my Krag rifle and carbine.  I'm surprised they get along.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:06:03 PM by Dave » Logged
Festus

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:08:34 AM »

Please keep us up on the progress.
And pictures please.

God, Flag, & Country
Dave

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:05:48 PM »

I'd post pics but Photobucket has changed, and this forum doesn't have a downloader.
I loaded up ten rounds and went to the range today (in the rain).  I used jacketed bullets to clean the barrel.  The rifle is so accurate it makes me look good.  It's a real gong ringer at 100 yds.  I'm going to look for some stripper clips to make loading easier.  Great rifle.
So, I might be a Mauser collector.  I have this Spanish Mauser, an Argentine Mauser, a Swedish Mauser and a Springfield M1917 .30-06 based on the Mauser design.
And no savings account...ah, screw it.
Fingers McGee

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:56:53 PM »

I'd post pics but Photobucket has changed, and this forum doesn't have a downloader.

Yes it does. click on "Additional Options..." from the Reply screen the enter file name in the "Attach:" window.
Dave

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »

Cool.  Here's a test pic from last August.
It works.  Good to know.  Thanks.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: