Photobucket

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 22, 2017, 10:15:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Smokin Gun Rules!!!
19211 Posts in 1650 Topics by 118 Members
Latest Member: gemihur
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  General Category
| |-+  F&I War
| | |-+  Rifle and/or Pistol Set
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Rifle and/or Pistol Set  (Read 14105 times)
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »

Hell yeah I would  lol3 I'd settle for a plain one like that unless I was wearin' Akwesasnee War paint and took it from .. well I guess anybody  Wink laugh
prof marvel

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »

An English Sporting Rifle would be just the ticket, and some showed up with the British officers in the colonies, so any of the Iroquois Confederation could have several opportunities to "acquire" one.

I think, but cannot locate documentation just now, that the "Chiefs Grade" Trade muskets may have been trying to copy the Sporting Rifle.

I do recall, based on Hudson Bay Trading post letters, that the Indigenous Peoples trading at the Posts preffered the lighter, better pointing ~36" - 42"  20 ga trade guns to either the heavy clunky military muskets or to the trade rifles. The longer range of the rifle was not that useful to them, compared to the ability to shoot either shot or ball however they chose. Further, there are several letters in which the Post Factor described observing Natives adjust a gun to shoot "correctly" by gently bending the barrel in the fork of a tree and firing test shots, and repeating  until they had brought the barrel to hit where the gun naturally pointed!

I have several smoothbore barrels and raw stock wood out in the garage waiting to be turned into a trade gun or three, but I just recieved a "new old stock" fajen  stock for my Eddystone and am busy fitting it up for the possibility of a fall outing. I must say, I enjoy stocking a traditional flinter or caplock from a plank, but these newfangled cheekpiece pistol grip stocks for crazy tapered ca'tridge barrels are so much easier to "just buy".

yhs
prof marvel
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »

I'm with you on that statement ... I think they'd make the ideal type rifle for theit use or intended use.
I have heard of the adjusting of the siting by bending the barrels in the fork of a tree .... haven't needed to try that yet though  Smiley
Good to hear you have a supply of these type barrels  ... and glad you rec'd thre New old stock you wanted. There is nothing better than getting something you've wanted and being able to do the what for all wth it yourself.
You'll be sharin' some pics of it with us I would hope?
 yes dance
CGN1771

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »

Here is a good link for trade guns of the era, some nice other models and reading there too.

http://www.northstarwest.com/
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »

Cool Site Chad ... they have alot for everyone there ... even the kits what ain't a bad price either ... I can't swing one yet but I will one day.
A slender Brown Bess type is an eye catcher ... and they offer most of them in 20, 24, or 28 guage ... 30, 36, and 41' bbls.
CGN1771

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »

I've never had any of their stuff but I've always heard good reviews. They have a few I'd like to have.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: