Photobucket

SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 11:10:AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Mojave Desert Marksmen Rondy was a good time, resting up and practicing for next year
18392 Posts in 1422 Topics by 102 Members
Latest Member: Carolina Kid
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
|-+  Revolvers/Pistols
| |-+  Colt Revs all models C&B
| | |-+  if ya had to choose...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: if ya had to choose...  (Read 2895 times)
Dave

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:PM »

I was just curious about the ammo.  Looks like it's about $10 per round.
I'm still trying to find info on the Colt without serial numbers.
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 04:10:PM »

Could be a Southern '49 Smiley CSA ... Well I hope you find more info and it's authentic ... I hadn't heard of the non Serialized Colts that made it out in a Lunchbox.
Is this a '49 you'd trade for that "Custer"?
Dave

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 05:39:PM »

It's the 1862 Pocket Police .36.  I was going to put a Beretta .22 towards it and keep the Custer for now.  But I want to find out more info about the missing numbers.
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 05:47:PM »

I hope it works out ... hell I'd like a dang Beretta .22 myself ... he should go for that deal Dave...  yes
Dave

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 08:13:AM »

I contacted James Julia auction house in Maine and asked them about the Colt without serial numbers.  They said it sounded like it might be a Colt copy and they would not even sell it at their auction.  Good to know.
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 09:12:AM »

That was a smart move Dave ... very good to know... so what's yur plan still lookin' for a 1849 Pocket it 1862 Pocket Police? Or? What are each of those Revs Asking prices now I haven't really been on GB or AA in a while over thsan the Dailey GB Report they send me...
Dave

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 10:13:AM »

I'm pretty sure that 1862 Pocket Police is the Real Deal - it just doesn't have serial numbers.  I'm trying to join the Colt Collectors forum so I can ask if anyone knows about the "lunchbox specials."  Maybe I can use it to get the price down.
Anyhoo, I just loaded 23 50-70s so I'm off to kill some giant pieces of cardboard.
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 11:51:AM »

Good on y Dave ... wish I could go with ya and bring my '73 Springfield T.D. .45/70 ... have fun man...Range Report when yur done Cleanin'? cowboy
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:11:PM by Smokin_Gun » Logged
Blue Tick

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2012, 05:52:AM »

Well Dave that Remigton is a good looking gun so if you have to trade the Custer off it won't be too painful.
What did you have to trade off to get the WALKER in the picture? The wife? lol3
The engraving on the Remington is a real nice speciman.
Smoking Guns collectables look good too.
I just picked up an old double shotgun with some chicken scratch engraving on it. It's a real nice condition gun. 16 ga, hammer gun double. Supposedly nitro proof barrels and all. I need to research it some. All I know is that it's a good sound shotgun made in Russia maybe. It looks like an American shot gun though. It seems to be a younger antigue.
Anyway....if I had to choose one of your guns I guess I'd take the Custer since it would be better as a shooter not being antique and all.
Nice pics and all........Both Daves and Smokin's.
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2012, 04:42:PM »

Dave ya should a takin' me up on my 1871, 1872 .38Colt ... as it's like this one on G.B. :
http://www.gunsamerica.com//955444298/Guns/Pistols/Colt-Percussion-Revolver-Pre-1899/ANTIQUE_COLT_3_1_2_INCH_BARREL_W_O_EJECTOR_MINT_CONDTION.htm?wl=1#

Heh heh ... you were right it is worth more than a $1,000

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:46:PM by Smokin_Gun » Logged
Dave

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2012, 05:15:PM »

Asking price and actual selling price are not the same alot of the time.  There is (or was) a guy selling a Custer .36 on GB for $1500 and it's not selling.  I saw a gun on GB recently for $10,000 (I think it was a Colt).  The seller claimed it was his grandfathers or something like that.  No pics at all.  He'd trade for a motorhome.
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2012, 10:20:PM »

I was just funnin ' with ya Dave I have a pretty good Idea what mine is worth and what I payed for it ... you know I'm sure that between me and you or any of us Old Coots it ain't about money or profit ... we are like that in't we laugh
I just happened to fine that in my Dailey Dailey Gunbroker Report Listings ... and had to show ya... cowboy
Dave

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 02:39:AM »

I'm not saying yours isn't worth what the one you posted is listed for - to the right buyer, on the right day, it might be.  I know it's worth more than the Custer.  But it brings up a good point as far as the value of the Custer .36 (or any gun).  Gun auctions are funny things.  I could list the Custer for exactly the same price as one that sold the previous week but since the guy who bought the previous one now already has one, no one else might be interested in it for the same price.  Make sense?  So I'm not even sure what value to put on the Custer.  Someone contacted me and offered me about a grand for the gun (I didn't even have it for sale anywhere), but after I fired it 18 times his offer dropped about $200.  I don't want to sell it for the moola, but to get another original I might want.  If that 1862 Pocket Police that I'm looking for had serial numbers I'd swap even for it (if the seller would make the trade but I doubt he would).
Oh well, high finances (anything over $10) rattle my head.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=287552918
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:03:AM by Dave » Logged
Smokin_Gun
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 06:38:AM »

Dang it $10K!, Dave that guys Grandpa must a been Mosby or Jessie James ya thinks? CSA
Ya wanna keep the Custer right  ... or did the guy with the 1862 Pocket Police say he wanted it unfired/unturned? If so he's a maybe a collector for High $ probly and wasn't gona shoot it...to me it wouldn't matter unless I was buying or trading for a profit.
These originals are cool but hell 100-150 years old or so ... and a bit loose, or will be and some you wouldn't shoot as much as say yur Custer maybe, but I know the feeling of wanting what ya want. I been the same way with my Fredric Remington "Rattlesnake"  NMA Always wanted one got it can't bring myself to shoot this one for the same reason as above. It's Purdy collectable and worth more unfired...and dang I got so many Rems I don't need to shoot it ...have but only one 1861 Colt now a 5.5" Pietta/Kirst gated .38spl .
Ask the guy Dave you'll never know if ya don't ask I guess... I had a nice 1861 I got with 3 differant barrels, white or wood grips with grip frame , and two kinds of cylinders sold it for money needed and have kicked myself forever more.
Yours Dave I liked so much for both it being an 1861 Navy and being a 3rd Gen Sig Colt engraved Custer ... it's still a Colt I care not what the Nay Sayers say  heh heh  laugh
Anyway I'm ujst rattlin' on so ... in the end it's all up to what ya want when they go they are gone and that's how one has to look at it ...
SG
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:40:AM by Smokin_Gun » Logged
Dave

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 07:58:AM »

I don't know who the guy is that contacted me through email and wanted the Custer - I think he might be a dealer.  He wanted the gun unfired.
The 1862 without the serial numbers is in a shop north of Boston - the place where I got the NMA and my son got his Ruger .45.  They'll take $800 plus the Beretta .22 for the gun, but without serial numbers, I think I'll stay away from it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: