Author Topic: GREGORELLI & UBERTI NAVY ARMS REMINGTON  (Read 9928 times)

Offline Shooter

• View Profile
GREGORELLI & UBERTI NAVY ARMS REMINGTON
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »
I just purchased this Navy Arms Remington .44 at a flea market in Texas for $100.00.  It came with the box and the Navy Arms paperwork and a brass bullet mold.  It is marked with XVI which I found out means it was made in 1960 and it has the GU mark for Gregorelli and Uberti.  The serial number is 728.  My question is how high did the serial number range go to on the GU marked Remington 1858 revolvers?  Shooter

Offline Hoof Hearted

• View Profile
    • Cartridge Conversions
Re: GREGORELLI & UBERTI NAVY ARMS REMINGTON
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:36:30 PM »
I just purchased this Navy Arms Remington .44 at a flea market in Texas for $100.00.  It came with the box and the Navy Arms paperwork and a brass bullet mold.  It is marked with XVI which I found out means it was made in 1960 and it has the GU mark for Gregorelli and Uberti.  The serial number is 728.  My question is how high did the serial number range go to on the GU marked Remington 1858 revolvers?  Shooter
Very nice score!
I believe this is the same era of manufacture as the "Uberti" made Lyman marked Army's. I have one and have never paid attention to the date or serial number but the escutcheon in the grip is the same (a very close copy of the original Remington). Sorry that I cannot answer your question maybe drjldavis will chime in. The "Lyman" one I have with that same style escutcheon was made in 1973. I also have a Lyman marked 36 Navy made in 1979 with the newer style escytcheon..........hope this helps you some.

I do also own a GU marked 1851 Colt Navy manufactured in 1962.

Can you possibly post some pics of the markings on this pistol that are close ups?

Thanks, HH
Check out my new website:

http://www.cartridgeconversion.com

Offline Smokey

• Domain Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Smoke has no form, it simply is.
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Shooter. Wow! What a great deal on that 58.  (?>  I never have such good luck.  _?/
For a Complete Directory of Black Powder Specialty Forums, Please Visit BlackPowderSmoke.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:16:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Shooter. Wow! What a great deal on that 58.  (?>  I never have such good luck.  _?/

I'll second that.  Super find !!!
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
Here are some more more pics of my GU Reminton .44, click on them to enlarge.  Shooter

Offline Hoof Hearted

• View Profile
    • Cartridge Conversions
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:35:08 PM »
Very nice INDEED!

What does the lengend on the top of the barrel say?

Offline Rock Island

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:57:02 AM »
Great deal, only time I ever find them at the flea markets they look like they came out of a lake, and the price is almost what the go for new, or even more if the seller thinks it's "The Real Thing".
If it shoots then I have it, am about to get it, want it, or plotting to get it

Offline Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:37:58 PM »
On the top of the barrel is ---NAVY ARMS CO. INC. BOGOTA N.J. USA---.  I am going to shoot this Remington but I was wondering what would be the best load for it and what type of caps?  I ordered another 1858 Remington made by Pietta from EMF because I need two of these.   I live in the Dallas, Texas area and alot of us wear two hand guns on our hips.  Shooter

Offline Rock Island

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:53:33 AM »
I use #11's with a slight squeeze to make them stay on the nipples a bit better, as for charge, you will have to work that up yourself.  Each gun has it's sweet load, the fun is in finding out what it is, could be 22 grains a FFFG has it shooting straight and true at the range you like to shoot, or it could be 30, 35, or 40, my Remington's like 35 grains of Goex FFFG black powder, I never use the subs.  Nothing wrong with two guns, on a dark night I might even carry three, that's what pocket pistols are made for. :)   If you do use reduced charges make sure the ball is seated very firmly on the powder, any air gap left between black powder and the ball could be disastrous, if the ball will not seat the powder well enough fill the remaining chamber volume with cream o' wheat cereal, for accuracy I find it's best to have the ball seated as near the end of the chamber as possible, not a problem when shooting 35-40 grains of powder, but with less than 35 I start filling with the cereal, or adding extra wonder wads to bring the ball up.
If it shoots then I have it, am about to get it, want it, or plotting to get it

Offline Hoof Hearted

• View Profile
    • Cartridge Conversions
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »
I live in the Dallas, Texas area and alot of us wear two hand guns on our hips.  Shooter
{'P If I lived in Dallas I'd wear two 1911's.............
What is it they say on 95.9 the Ranch? Did ya have to go to Dallas today? WE'RE SORRY (^#

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
    • Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »
I hope you are not considering shooting this Remington.  To find one in the box with all the original papers is a treasure.  Gregorelli & Uberti were only in business for around four years, 1959-1962, when it then became just Uberti.  The GU initials will only be found on these revolvers and was the company logo.  It is difficult to go by serial number because Uberti continued from the GU production numbers.  The date code is more important since there is documentation as to when the Gregorelli & Uberti partnership dissolved.  Example: yours is #728 with date code XVI or 1960 while RPRCA has one #665 but date code of XVIII or 1962.  The largest serial number observed is #2712 in 1962.   The GU Remington production was completely separate from the Colt and Confederate revolvers.  We have to remember that the early Navy Arms GU revolvers were virtually “hand” assembled and were probably done in lots of the same revolver. 

In addition to the Remington New Model Army, GU made the 1851 Navy, 1851 Navy Sheriff, Griswold & Gunnison, Griswold & Gunnison Sheriff, Leech & Rigdon, and Leech & Rigdon Sheriff.  Markings on these early guns were sometimes inconsistent.

Since the Lyman Remington New Model Army has been mentioned I might add the Lyman Remington’s are somewhat rare.  They were made around 1970-72.  The bulk of the Lyman Remington revolvers were actually loose copies of the Remington Beals, and were made by Armi San Paolo starting around 1973.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »
Really?
My son just bought a Lyman Navy in .36...it's seen some use, and has a manufacture date of 1971. Should he be careful about shooting this, or not shoot it at all?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline drjldavis

• View Profile
    • Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
Depends on who the manufacturer is, Uberti or Armi San Paolo (Euroarms).  Not everyone is a shooter and not everyone is a collector.  I approach the replicas strictly from a 20yr. collector's point of view.  I no longer shoot.

I do not recall saying anything about not shooting a Lyman.  To shoot an original firearm in the box like the Gregorelli & Uberti when there were probably fewer than 3000 ever produced just does not seem like sound economics from a collector's point of view when there are current manufactured Remington revolvers available.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »
"Since the Lyman Remington New Model Army has been mentioned I might add the Lyman Remington’s are somewhat rare.  They were made around 1970-72." 

His Lyman is manufactured by Uberti and certainly falls within the above parameters. He bought it to shoot...not collect...but I wouldn't want him devaluing something if it were rare. Sounds like it's not that rare, and besides, it's already been fired before he got it. Thanks for your input!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Poudrenoire

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 07:21:20 PM »
hello , i have one remington Belt cal 36." Navy arms co inc bogota nj usa " on the barrel and "GU" under the barrel  , year XVII ( 1961)  service number ( matricule)  368 under the heel. The serial number of all pieces is 61.

Please , have you picture of your Navy arms GU Remington paper or original box .
thank you
TEX

the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence .