Shop the Cabela's Bargain Cave - Save up to 70%!

Author Topic: WTB - .36 cal dragoon style barrel  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
WTB - .36 cal dragoon style barrel
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
I'm looking to purchase an historically incorrect   ^?}  Pietta '51 Navy Sheriffs model   #%, brass framed  revolver with the round barrel   (^# for a project I have in mind   >(_  c$%.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Smokey

• Domain Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Smoke has no form, it simply is.
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
Re: WTB - .36 cal dragoon style barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
Historically incorrect?? )::  }:&
For a Complete Directory of Black Powder Specialty Forums, Please Visit BlackPowderSmoke.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »
Yeppers, onliest thing correct about it is the caliber - .36.  Tweren't no brass '51s; and no sheriffs model '51s, and no '51s with dragoon style barrel.  Now it could be said - wrongly - that instead of being a '51 Navy, it could be a short barreled Griswold & Greir (Gunnison); Caliber, Frame and round barrel is correct; but they didn't make any with a short barrel.  I guess 3 outta 4 attributes is close enough  */)????
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee; SASS 28654-L-TG, NCOWS 3280; Alter Ego of Diabolical Ken, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire.  Founding member of Central Ozarks Western Shooters and member of Southern Missouri Rangers, Double M Cowboys, Owl Creek Raiders and the Ozark Posse

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Wild West USA Mojave Desert
    • View Profile
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 12:43:21 PM »
Fingers I agree the brass frame and round bbl was Histoically incorrect for a Colt, but them reproduction are meant to be Southern copies of the 1851 Sheriff's as it the Reb. The Sheriff Model in a steel frame is Colt Historically correct as i read where Colt would custom make any special order config you wanted and listed in ads the barrel lengths, stock type, engraving,and finnish you preferred.

And this mouse/cursor thing is still goin' on here ...and no place else on any other forums or sites. Just in this or my message box here. Not in the PMs here just this box ... and that's the last time I'll mention it as it must jus' be my glitch :(
"I Smoke Black Powder" "Prefer an 1858 NMA Remington .44"
SGT. 43rd BN Virginia Cavalry CSA, Mosby's Rangers

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »
No, SG, I've got the same mouse cursor glitch in the post reply box as you have.

The short barreled brass framed guns aren't correct, and neither are the half round half oct barrels in a .36 Colt revolver.  The half round/half oct barrel on an iron frame was made - at least one of them was - by Rigdon and Ansley, though.

And another thing..   ::)  The brass framed, octagonal barreled Confederate revolver is also a pig in a poke.  There were only 50 sample model Schneider and Glassick revolvers made, and of the three known to exist, one of them is iron framed with half round/Half octagonal barrel.  They - S&G - were apparently only resellers, and not manufacturers.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:59:54 PM by Fingers McGee »

Offline Smokey

• Domain Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
Hitting the refresh button doesn't help with the glitch?
For a Complete Directory of Black Powder Specialty Forums, Please Visit BlackPowderSmoke.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:00:42 PM »
Hitting the refresh button doesn't help with the glitch?

Nope.  Only way to travel around in the compose window is with the cursor arrows on the keyboard

Offline Smokey

• Domain Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Black Powder Smoke
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »
OK. At this point, I have no idea what the problem is.  ???

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 07:49:45 PM »
It's fixed now.   */)

Still looking for a barrel.

FM

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Wild West USA Mojave Desert
    • View Profile
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »
Testing 1-2-3 yup it seems to be fixed now... %!-
"I Smoke Black Powder" "Prefer an 1858 NMA Remington .44"
SGT. 43rd BN Virginia Cavalry CSA, Mosby's Rangers

Offline Fingers McGee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 10:50:24 PM »
Well, I am finally going to get my brass framed sheriff's model dragoon barreled .36.  Seems Pietta made them a while back.  There has been one listed on AA for months now with a reserve and a buy now of $235.  I've been putting in a $150 bid each time the listing has expired for quite a while.  Even tried a haggle with the seller - to no avail.  Last week, when the listing was reposted, it was listed with no reserve and no buy now price.  The high bid when I saw it was around $81, so I posted a $125 bid and ended up winning the bid.  He should have taken my haggle offer of $150. 

I will have a complete revolver for less than what it would have cost for just the barrel and loading lever from VTI.  Now I can make my repro of a short barreled Rigdon and Ansley using the barrel and blank cylinder from this revolver with the steel Pietta frame and Sig Series Colt grip frame and grips that I've been saving for this project, and still have a spare complete frame.

Somtimes being patient pays off.

Fingers